apple snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry. In the first pic, the snail fartherest (is that a word? lol) left is a jade or green snail. And, in the second pic, the snail closest to the top of the pic is a jade snail.

garysept.jpg

Now...that's a snail...golden. :)

Wrapped in wet towels works well. Then using some type of fiberfloss for cushioning to pack around them. I like shipping them in sturdy disposable tubs like gladware or ziplock containers.

i've got a gladware tub and one of those containers like ziplock but without a zip.

is it possible to place them in a bag (one each or one for all?) packed like fish (i.e. 1/3 water, 2/3 air), then place them in the tub surrounded with paper towels or news paper?

I have had them sent to me that way but I've had better luck with receiving live snails when they were shipped "dry" wrapped in moist towels. I've also had them shipped with wet moss to help keep moisture but yes, you sure can ship them in water and together. But, if your gonna send the tub anyway, I'd skip the bag and water. just use wet towels and tape the tub shut. Wrap each individual and pack them together. Wish I had pics of the process to send you. Snails ship pretty well. I've gotten my sw snails shipped in a shipping bag but without water as well.

I would think that any fiber based materials would dry out too quickly and also generate a lot of heat as well.

I successfully shipped apple snails using the method that Fluff described. Pretty neat when the receiver can recieve them alive.

The fiber stuff I was referring to is the stuff that you use in the old intank style corner filters. But, paper towel works fine as well. Anything that is gonna hold moisture for a few days. Don't want them drying out to much.

Back
Top Bottom