Aptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here are a couple things that came on/out of the lr I got. Is the first aptasia? It extends out into the water slightly and, depending upon changes in light or things moving by, it instantly can shrink/pull its arms back in. The other is some sort of crab (finger nail sized). Came back from work today and the crab was over the aptasia's hole. I though it had eaten it, but once the crab scurried away, the aptasia extended back out slightly.

From other posts, it seems like aptasias are considered pests. But considering the first two damsels died after a week of getting them, the aptasia is the most interesting thing in the tank right now...

Attachments

• invert.jpg
    invert.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 90
  • crab.jpg
    crab.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 67
Has it stayed in the same spot or does it move? I don't think its aptasia. maybe another nuisance anenome though.

Can't see the crab too well. If pointed claws, I've heard they can be bad.

It has not moved in the past couple weeks as far as I can tell.

The anemone looks like Majano to me. Also a problem anemone and can take over a tank quickly if conditions are right. The crab I'm not sure about but when in doubt remove. If you have a refugium you can put him in there

Thanks. I don't have a refugium. Even if I did, I don't think I could get the crab--except perhaps by taking the lr out and trying to shake him out (and I doubt even that would work). He's quick and dives into the holes that go into the rock!

Take a small glass put some food in it and tilt it slightly so that the crab can get in but wont be able to crawl up and out of the glass.

Looks like a Rock Anemone to me a Filter Feeder could be good. Majano look more like an Aiptasia but not with pointy tips Majano are more with a Rounder Tip, Both are bad. But IMO look more like a common Rock Anemone...

Looks like a Rock Anemone to me a Filter Feeder could be good. Majano look more like an Aiptasia but not with pointy tips Majano are more with a Rounder Tip, Both are bad. But IMO look more like a common Rock Anemone...

I suppose that is possible. An additional pic would be helpful. Majano, like aiptasia will look different based on the conditions of the tank. Those cute little "tulip" anemones that are sold on ebay are actually majano, it's just a strain that happens to have pink tips.

See if you can get another pic of the anemone one that shows the mouth (center of the anemone).

Well, whatever it was, I don't have to worry about trying to identify it anymore since the crab (looks like a gorilla crab) made a good meal out of it. So I obviously have to get that crab out of there before putting anything in the tank...

Thanks all.

I had two of these, acted and looked the same. They were doing well for a week then all the sudden one was gone and then the next day the other was gone. Have not seen them since, been almost 3 weeks. I have no fish big enough to eat them, must have been a crab, there are 2 white crabs with a black circle on their backs that i have not been able to extract yet.

Back
Top Bottom