Aqua Clear 70

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just started using the Aqua Clear 70 for the first time on my new 46 gallon tank. I have the carbon, the sponge, and the biomax pellet things...

According to the packages, I should be changing out...

The carbon- every month

The sponge/foam - every two months

The Biomax- every three months.

Now I *know* that the typical "4-6 weeks" advice on the back of most filter media cartridges is bunk, but how often would you/ do you change out the three different types on the Aqua Clear? Obviously, not all at once.

I know the carbon is only good for 30 days and then just stop working, some people will say carbon is unnecessary unless you are trying to rid your tank of meds.

As for the sponge and bio pellets I rinse mine about one a month in old tank water, I do not actually throw it away and replace it. I have read that some people have had the same media in their filters for 5+ years and only replace it when it is falling apart.

As previously stated you only replace the foam and biomax when it's falling apart. Just rinse it once a month in tank water during a water change. As for carbon it's personal choice. I don't use it at all in my tanks and just get more biomax in its place. I've used carbon in the past and didnt find a difference other than I have to replace the carbon which does cost money.

Awesome, thanks guys. I think once the carbon runs out Ill just get more of the biomax and say to heck with it.

That is one thing I was unsure of, to use more biomax or more sponge. I use extra sponge... Does it make a difference? Or is one better than the other?

I use extra sponge/foam, too! I dont think it really makes difference because the point is to have something for the bacteria to grow on. The sponges seem to hold up pretty well too.

Back
Top Bottom