Aqua one Marisys 240 series 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SH4N

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I purchased the Marisys 240 series 2 protein skimmer, When the water returns to my tank its extremely bubbly, i've followed the troubleshooting in the instructions but cant seem to find the problem. does anyone have any tips/advice or have this product?

thanks

that's pretty much a byproduct of the skimming process. This is why most folks prefer to keep their skimmers in a sump so that those bubbles have time to "pop" on the surface without getting into the tank.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with that skimmer to be able to help you with a solution. From what I could find quickly on google it doesn't look like that unit has a great reputation, though.

Thanks for your reply. It seems that it withdraws water to the filter box, then stops and water returns to my tank (with a LOT of bubbles) until there is no more water left, and then it withdraws water again. I have gone over and over the instructions, pulled it apart and started again, I can't seem to find what im doing wrong. ive tried contacting the place i got it from but they do not know much about it

my friend has the older version of it, and he could turn it down with an air adjuster, but i dont have this option on mine.

With these models if thevwater is not traveling into the filter area over the bridge typr thingo there will be bubbles entering thhe tank. Can you give us a pic of the top of the system with the cover off?

hi! ive actually got it working now, i had very little bubbles for a day and now they are completely gone :) thanks for the replies

The filter system seems to skim ok but i have been worried about the slow raise in nitrate levels in my tank ,i have just removed half of the bioballs and replaced with seachem matrix and hoping this will help. Any other ideas would be fantastic as the idea looks great just think the media in the setup needs tweaking

Hi mate Im thinking of getting rid of the bio balls also. My nitrates are 5 ppm everything else is zero.The marisys seems to be simple and working waters spotless just my skimmers not always skimming . Overall with some tweeking I reckon the system will work awesome. How did you go removing the balls.
Cheers

hi guys, ive stopped using this i had problems with it not working still, water coming out to fast and coming in to slow, causing it not to work and blow bubbles. i still dont know why, everything seemed fine incl length of pipe. i have a new tank now with a sump, still thinking about using it if i ever get it working.

it did work great for a few months though

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, but, I would like to let you know how I solved this issue with the Marisys 240 Series 2. I spent about 10 hours getting this going on my Aqua One 980 tank. I had the same issue that most of you were talking about.

I was instructed by the guy I got this from, to prime it (albeit it is supposed to be self priming) by adding tank water to the rear of the filter head unit.

Tried this for hours, didn't work.

I tried siphoning water from the tank into the rear of the head unit, to keep a constant flow.

Same result, that is, the unit would pump our bubbles and water every 5 mins or so.

So I looked at the tank/sump unit. It appeared to be filling up slowly then releasing water and bubbles as it reached half way between the minimum and recommended markers.

Now I did fill this to recommend before turning the unit on.

So I removed the sump cover and used two air hoses to siphon tank water straight I to the three section filter.

Still same result although the bubbles and water came a little faster, I continued to also add water to the rear of the head unit. This returned longer bursts.

I had about enough of it at that time and finally I grabbed one of my gravel cleaner siphons and placed the tubing into the unit, on top of the blue distributer (top section with bunch of holes into) and fed the water directly into the overflow unit. (Probably could have just as easily fed it straight into the overflow from the top but as I couldn't see thru the dark plastic I had no idea how it would travel.

Anyway, with the water feeding into the dark overflow area from the top of 3 part filter, the water started coming out the duck bill constantly.

The water level automatically made it to the recommended marker in the filter section.

I let this run like that for about 10 minutes then stopped the siphon flow.

The unit runs perfectly now, and has done for 3 days. The tank is clear as a bell, and the protein skimmer is working industriously.

I added a 600 ml water bottle to the protein skimmer overflow.

And all is well. If anyone really wants it, I can make a short YouTube video of what I have just explained.

But that's how I solved the issue. I bought the unit second hand, so I didn't get any destructions. Searching the web, there is pretty much nothing explaining how to get this thing going, and I can truly understand people's frustration.

There is nothing on YouTube either.

Hope this helps guys :)

awesome! glad you got it working, if you dont mind making a vid it would be appreciated, I'd still like to use mine, its sitting in the backroom with no use at the moment fed up with it!

Much better, the reason for the system glitch which prompted me into gear to create this video, was simply due to evaporation. I added about 6 liters of water, and the system balanced out. After approximately 10 mins I removed the siphon. A couple of adjustments of the intake valve up and down 2 clicks resulted in a final Balancing of the system. You are most probably going to get a similar situation when doing a 20% water change. I suggest doing a couple of smaller water changes in a week. You can prevent a major meltdown by siphoning a bucket load out via air hose, and simultaneously adding new water via air hose at opposing positions in the tank. This would leave the water level in the tank relatively unchanged. It may not be ideal, however, it will circumvent (hopefully) having to restart the entire startup procedure again. Hope this is of value to those who have boxed up their systems and have set them aside. This system really does work. It may be a little quirky but, the results are very encouraging in my Aqua Style 980 tank. Since I have had the system in place, water quality has measured up brilliantly at every weekly test and water clarity has been superb.

I have this filter also, I seem to have trouble getting the skimmer to work properly and I always have a film on the top of the water. I wish it had a float in it which would adjust the water levels accordingly as my water evaporates so quickly every second day I need to play with the inlet and check the water levels, so am kind of buggered if I have to go away for a few days holiday. I have the instruction manual as a PDF if you'd like it Risk, or if anyone else needs it. :eek:)

Hey,

I just set mine up and dint have any problem with getting the water to pump back into the tank or getting the skimmer working. My problem is the fatter tube that takes the water from the tank seems to now be sucking enough water so the tube is half full and noisy.

Is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom