Aquaclear filter for 29 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
every thing you need to know!!!!

so i use mostly aquaclear filters and i own the 30, 50 and 70... there are four filter media components that ac makes. the first goes on bottom it would be classified as mechanical filtration it is foam. the second goes on top of the foam you can use either carbon or the ammonia reducing compound. i highly recommend just sticking with the carbon and change 25 percent of your water weekly. the third filter media is biological and goes on top of the carbon. this section consists of small white pellets of coral like material. this is area congregates benificial bacteria that help your aquarium function.

tips:
1. if you are going to use the ac50 turn it down 50% aka put the adjustable nob centered in the slot. remember with this filter on high you move lots of water through the fiter. that also means there is less time for the water passing through the filter to be processed. so turning it down to 50% reduces the flow and provides for much needed filter processing. ac provides this info in their service pamphlet.

2. if you own the AC 30, 50 and 70 or two of the three of these models. then a good thing to know is that the motors are all the same model. the only difference is the size of the filter box and the number of blades on the impeller. if my ac 50 burns out and i need to rplace it i have used spare parts from my ac 30 which i dont use anymore.

3. other companies make a forth section of filter madia or prefilter media which consist of larger white ceramic pellets. this traps large debris and also collects good bacteria.

4. when changing the foam and carbon or ammonia reducer remember to change these monthly. also change them two weeks apart to reduce the risk of bactira loss in the system. the biological filter should be checked for breakdown as it diminises over time slowly. i recommend changing it every three months.

i love aquaclear filters probably the most affordable vertical hanging filter you can find and functions highly.

I have the AC50 on my 29 gallon.
The adjustable flow isnt that big of a deal, it barely changes.
But it is a great filter

i highly disagree with this statement it is a change that you cannot see but ive noticed that the tank over time is healthier when the filter is run at 50% due to the fact of section tip number 1. that i stated and the claims aquaclear has made. thank you

Okay, well i highly disagree with your statement.
the flow change is no big deal.
Thank you

The AC manual states "Sometimes delicate fish and plants require a gentler water flow. The patented AquaClear®

refiltration system allows you to control the flow rate without compromising filtration
efficiency. When the flow rate is reduced, up to 50% of the water within the filter chamber is
processed multiple times. More impurities are filtered out, creating a healthier tank with
sparkling clean and clear water" That doesn't mean it has to be turned down to 50%, or that it will be less efficient at 100% flow.

Also, I would skip ammonia reducers, as a healthy cycled tank has no need for chemical filtration of ammonia, which wastes money and is unreliable. Again with carbon, save your money and use another foam pad or more bio media instead. The foam pads do not need to be replaced, simply rinse or wring them out in old tank water to get the debris out and put them back. All in all, mechanical filter media and biomedia almost never has to be replaced, though manufacturers like you to think otherwise. I only replace when the media itself starts to degrade(which took about a year for a filter floss pad I was using), and I have not had an AC foam pad fail on me yet. JMO

--Adeeb

Maybe the 50 is drastically different from the 110, but there is a HUGE difference in flow between the low and high settings with that model. It's even noticeable on my AC20...

Cool. Well I'll order the 70 probably for my 29 gallon tank. Can anybody now suggest the best way to not lose where I'm at in the cycle? Just put my media into the new filter?

You can maintain your bacterial colonies, either by running both filters for a few weeks, or transferring your old media into the new AC for a while. Either way will work. Aqueons have cartridges, so you could cut out the fiber of the cartridges and place them in the AC chamber, along with the sponge media, and the bacteria will colonize pretty fast.

--Adeeb

You can maintain your bacterial colonies, either by running both filters for a few weeks, or transferring your old media into the new AC for a while. Either way will work. Aqueons have cartridges, so you could cut out the fiber of the cartridges and place them in the AC chamber, along with the sponge media, and the bacteria will colonize pretty fast.

--Adeeb

Okay, so just place it down near the bottom then? Or does it really matter the order it's placed in?

--Adeeb

+1 Adeeb i agree with you. i usually seed new filter systems with older media

Yeah, it might go faster if the old media is at the bottom, since the flow is upwards. Just a guess, it will work either way.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom