AquaClear HOB filter leaking - anyone else have this problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A few months ago I came home to find 15+ gallons of water had leaked out of my 55gal community tank. I assumed that there was something wrong with the tank & since I'd recently moved, others suggested that damage might have been done to frame or seals during the move. Got a new tank & assumed the problem was solved.

Just got home this evening from being gone all weekend to find a similar sight, though this time the water lost was probably closer to about 10 or so gallons. The water was high enough that the filters (2 Aqua Clear HOBs, a 30 & a 50) were still cycling water & I notice that one of them, the 50, appeared to be leaking. It was in the same corner of the tank were the damage had been worst in the previous incident so I'm guess it was the filter both times.

Has anyone else ever had this problem with the AC HOB's? Also, in relocating the media to the filter on my 75gal, I noticed that a lot of crud had collected on the media - is it possible that this build-up was displacing water & that the only problem with the filter was that I hadn't been cleaning the media? I know this should only be done with tank water.

Fingers crossed someone will be able to come help tomorrow after work & thankful it's not mold season!

With AC filters, you need to make sure they aren't leaning backwards, or they will leak when the sponges get dirty. There should be a plastic bit near the motor to adjust the filter box so it is level.

Last edited:
Unless it's leaking around the O-ring make sure the media isn't loaded and pushing from the water flow, raising the water level to the top of the filter case.

Back
Top Bottom