Aquapure filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Go to BRS Bulk Reef Supply.com. You have to use a media reactor for the pellets and a pump. BRS is a great place to get a lot of reef supplies.

Know the BEST thing to keep nitrates in check? 20% water change every week. Thats the key. Took me a long time to get over my laziness but now I have my water changes down to a science. It takes me 1/2 hours and for me I change 35 gallons every Sunday evening. Works like magic.

I usually do a 10-15% weekly and 25% monthly and change carbon/foam.
35 gallons at a time is a lot!!! That is my whole tank :) My big tank has the
least nitrate problem, probably at 5. My QT is the problem 10-20. Moved galaxea
over there and he's all by himself in a little corner running out his tentacle.
What is something of color I can buy, My tank seems a little drab. (Coral)
Got enough fishies.

My absolute favorite is Goniopora! It comes in all kinds of great colors. It looks like nithing but a thin mat encrusted on a rock or a solid little ball when it's polyps are closed but it gets huge and has a lot of movement when open. I have 5 of these in various colors in my tank. Check out the images on Google for it. Drawback-They say it is difficult to keep alive for more then a year and some call them "rent a corals". lol. Mine are doing beautifully for 6 months. Knock on wood. They are not expensive. I paid anywhere between 35 and 75 dollars a piece for mine. I am lucky as I have a fantastic "reef" store about 65 miles from my home. I drive there at a minimum of once a week. It is owned by a 29 year old kid who really appreciates good customers and the more you buy the better the prices. Plus he gets things, fishes and corals, that you only see online. By the way, there are two types of Goniopor. Encrusting mat type and the other looks like a little round ball when closed. The encrusting is supposed to be more hardy. The red goniopora is supposed to be the hardiest but it is also very expensive but beautiful.

That is beautiful. I just looked at a red flowerpot. Nice! My LFS is 5 minutes
from here but his corals are not that great and he is high priced! How long do
you acclimate them? I saw 3 hours on swf.com. I get a lot from them and have
done ok with them. I wish BTA would come out of his cave after 2 wks hiding.
He is a big nice one white with purple base. Ready to see him!!

I don't acclimate my corals. I simply give them a 10 minute bath in tank water treated with a coral dip such as coral rx and a couple drops of flatworm exit. Then right into the ol tank. I have NEVER acclimated a fish either. I float the bag for 20 minutes and in they go. Way too much is made of this acclimation stuff. Ever watch a lfs get a shipment in? The bags are floated for 20 minutes and in they go. 10 minutes later a guy comes in and buys the fish and bam, right into their tank.

Well, my hammer coral is starting to shrink since I saw that galaxea coral
trying to touch him with his little stringy polyp thingy. You may have been
right about him being deadly :( Do you think he will die now that thing has
been trying to feel of him. I moved that sucker. I got a waving hand saturday
and have it high up in the tank and medium flow. Away from everything else.
I cannot find my cute little toxic sea hare anymore. Should I tear my tank
down and find him, what if he is dead :( OMG! My chili coral has started to
open less since I got my salinity down from 1.030 to 025, he must not have liked that.

If you can't find the sea hare better do a 50% water change and run some carbon quickly. If he's dead in there he is poisoning your water. Just finding him isn't enough now. Water change and carbon necessary. Hope the salinity drop was gradual. 5ppm is a lot to do all at once. Either your hammer is stung or suffering from sea hare toxin.

Oh my gosh. I'll make some salt water tonite. I'm not ready. They are
so camoflauged, I'll never find him. I do need to get him out don't I?
Hope the hammer comes out of this. I hate sea hares now, if he has
poisoned my tank I will not be happy. The only thing that seems to be
suffering is the hammer right now. Gonna go mix!! :( OMG!! Wish me
luck! You are so helpful.... Thank you!

Maybe he isn't dead. But he always stays on the glass sides.
No signs of him for a couple of days. Cute? hmmmmmmmm.
I just mixed 15 gallons of water for my 36 gallon tank.
Same salinity or a little less. I'll have to check ph after
it settles some, that may be too low tomorrow with my 4.0 well water.
Just changed carbon last weekend, do I need to do it
again too? I won't be able to change water til tomorrow afternoon.
I think my star polyps are looking poorly too. Did I say
I hated sea hares. Why didn't I check on that toxicity
business. The shouldn't sell stuff like that!!!!!! grrrrrrrr.
Live and learn.

You've got to change the carbon, run a lot of it, and change it every day or so for a week. That is what will remove the toxin, "if he is dead". He could be hiding in the sandbed, they do that. Mine got chopped up by a powerhead. Little pieces fell on my corals and damaged them.
There is hardly a day in this hobby when you can relax and just enjoy your tank.

Today, my stuipd clownfish suddenly decided to host one of my goniopora corals. He harrassed it all day long and it withdrew and looked bad. Finally I moved the coral and he just kept sniffing where it was. When he finds it, it's in trouble. Tomorrow it'll be another problem. Sometimes it gets to be nerve wracking.

I have about 17 corals in my tank. There has yet to be a day when ALL 17 are looking their best. One or two of them always have a problem. Shedding, shriveled. Then that one will get better and another will look bad.

You should have started a NEW thread along time ago this one is way OFF TOPIC!

Self Absorbed

You could learn some basic thread management and quit thinking just about yourself and I would not have had to comment.

START a new thread when you start talking about something of topic and quit wasting other peoples time.

Your thread:
1) shows up on forum searches whether you want it to or not.

2) People that might have been interested in the off topic aspects of the thread may never open it if the title is inaccurate.

The forum moderator should have cut you off along time ago.............

You could learn some basic thread management and quit thinking just about yourself and I would not have had to comment.

START a new thread when you start talking about something of topic and quit wasting other peoples time.

Your thread:
1) shows up on forum searches whether you want it to or not.

2) People that might have been interested in the off topic aspects of the thread may never open it if the title is inaccurate.

The forum moderator should have cut you off along time ago.............

Get a life and UNTIL you're a moderator mind your own business.

Just finished tank hunt for mr. Hare. 50%w chg, turned over and moved all my rock. No hare... My anemones were not happy. Dropped a rock on my long tentacle, sure he loved that. I hope he is in the sand and will show up and I am going to dip it out and cut my losses. My salinity and ph are perfect, but I know the nitrates have stirred up now after I got that in check. You are right it is a nerve racking hobby. Why so we torture ourselves?:confused::confused

No use talking to a self centered idiot a$$hole, enough said!!!!

Back
Top Bottom