Aquarium salt and ich question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yesterday I had a huge scare when I saw a neon tetra with a white spot on his fin but it didn't look like ich it seemed to be hanging loosely like the little white specs that drift around in a planted aquarium or a piece of food I checked this morning it was gone
Then I remembered someone say if I drop a little aquarium salt once in awhile it should prevent ich other than keeping water parameters well of course can anyone clarify this please

Fishandmusic81 said:
Yesterday I had a huge scare when I saw a neon tetra with a white spot on his fin but it didn't look like ich it seemed to be hanging loosely like the little white specs that drift around in a planted aquarium or a piece of food I checked this morning it was gone
Then I remembered someone say if I drop a little aquarium salt once in awhile it should prevent ich other than keeping water parameters well of course can anyone clarify this please

How long have you had the neon? You don't need to use salt to treat ich, you can just raise the temperature. Although some people swear by using small amounts of salt on a regular basis, others disagree. From what I understand- and I could definitely be wrong- salt doesn't prevent the disease but can help keep secondary infections from starting if your fish have a wound or etc from a disease. Depending on what other fish you have in there you can just watch and see if it actually is ich- then start slowly raising the temp by a degree an hour.

Well if it's the first 5 over a week second 5 a day but the white spots gone checked all if them carefully and the corys no white spots everyones swimming calmly not trying to scratch it off
And my heater isn't the type you can adjust it stays at 78 it's made to prevent the temp from going up incase of a power outage theirs quite a few in Virginia the way I make it slowly go up is by putting a heater in my room but so far everyone's ok and thanks for the clarification on the salt

Yeah, my fish like to freak me out on occasion by getting a tiny water bubble or piece of sand on their fin. I panic and then it goes away on it's own.

Back
Top Bottom