Aquarium stand DIY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom446

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. Need some advice please.
I’ve brought a fish tank off a friend as I want to start up my own aquarium.
The fish tank frame is very dark wood, potentially stained wood.
I want it to be a lighter colour like a light grey.
Could anyone recommend anything or any products to accommodate my preference in colour without sanding? It was some patterns/ grooves that I don’t want to sand out.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If it's just a wooden stand with paint, varnish or sealer on the wood, you should be able to just paint over it with any water or oil based paint. I prefer oil (turpentine) based paints but they smell bad for a while. If you can put the stand outside for a week after you paint it, then any fumes from the paint will disipate and you're good to go.

If you are concerned about new paint not sticking, you can use a very fine sand paper to give the surface a quick once over and this should scratch it enough for the new paint to stick but shouldn't remove the detail you want to keep.

Hi Colin, appreciate that and thanks for your reply. I’m a novice at this and just starting out so thought I would join a forum to do some reading, learning and ask for tips/help along the way.

Back
Top Bottom