Aquarium under turmoil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malisa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:banghead: I got my daughter a 55g tank for x-mas, it was an upgade from a 20g. We added about 7 fish over a couple weeks then suddenly notices they were dying one after another. We lost a huge angel, a huge goldfish that was already under turmoil and she was from old tank, a black goldfish from old tank, a one eyed black bug eyed fish that was new, a sucky fish was discovered while emptying tank (he was very blue in color I amsuming he was dead a while), and a tiny angel just dissapeared. I did a 75% water change and waited about a wk before putting decorations back in tank. A wk later (today) I did a 50% water change and put in new active carbon filters and also added a under gravel filter system without placing the carbon in as I want as much water movement as possible and have been told that those small filters only slow the flow. I am reluctant to add chemicals to the water so the only thing I have put in it is the dechlorinater. I have not lost any more fish since I did the 75% replacement, yes I had survivors. 4 goldfish, some kind of pinkish fish, a large algae eater, These survivors were all from the old tank. The newly added that made it include a small albino algae eater and about 7 tiny fish with fluorescent markings. Could it be possible that there were too many fish and not enough water changes. I have no clue what went wrong and I am heartbroken over the ones that died , of course they were all the unique ones. I am here to learn so I can improve my fishies lives, I hope you all can help with great advice.

Sorry about all your fishes :(
First off, did you cycle your tank? I didn't see you mention it.
Second your gold fish are not compatible with the other fish that you mentioned. They are a cool water fish and your others are tropical.
Do you only have an under gravel filter? I don't have any experience with them myself. But if so someone else can probably chime in on that subject.

Hi and welcome!
Im sorry about your fish. Your tank is over and incorrectly stocked. Goldfish do not belong in a tank with tropical fish. They require different water temperatures and food. With just 4 fancy goldfish your tank would be stocked to capacity. It sounds like your tank is cycling. Do you own a test kit? what are the results?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
Please read this.
If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask!

Back
Top Bottom