Aquarium water for vegetable garden?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a freshwater tank with tropical fish. Is it safe to use the water from a water change in my vegetable garden at the base of the plants? Will it harm the vegetable plants and/or make the fruit or vegetables unsafe to eat?

On a few occasions I have used all natural "medicines" to address concerns about unhealthy fish. This would be 100% tea tree oil from Pima fix.

I know this is a fish forum, but I figure many of you are very knowledgable with water parameters and might know the answer.

Note, I do not have live plants in my tank. I have fake-out artificial plants and wood.

Thanks.

Its great, fish waste is plant food. I do this every week even water the house plants with fish water. And plus ur not wasting then! And no it will not harm ur plants or veggies, might even make them grow faster and bigger. Cause I have some huge tomatoes and hot peppers

All natural fertilizer. Go for it.

Any medications that are used on fish had their roots in human medicine. In the quantities that they are in your aquarium water and the quantities that will be absorbed by your plants into your body not to mention the amount you need to injest to make any sort of different on your body... Well I hope you're getting the picture

It's no biggie.

I water ornamentals with mine, but as a rule of thumb, most gardeners (myself included) refrain from putting fresh animal waste on food crops. There's always a very, very small chance of passing a pathogen into your food chain. Likely nothing bad will ever happen, but it's just as easy to water a planter instead, so why risk it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I water ornamentals with mine, but as a rule of thumb, most gardeners (myself included) refrain from putting fresh animal waste on food crops. There's always a very, very small chance of passing a pathogen into your food chain. Likely nothing bad will ever happen, but it's just as easy to water a planter instead, so why risk it?

Really Fish poop falls into that?? I guess all poo is nasty, I just thought that the soil would filter it out and break it down.

I wont change tho, Im not a "New Age Man" I still boil water when I camp(wildlife officer) and eat the fish from the lakes and rivers. Im the guy who goes over seas and doesn't get the mudbutt from drinking the water.... There was a saying when I was growing up "What doesn't kill you Makes you Stronger" guess people forgot

Sry didnt mean to ramble, But i am curious about this now.

I don't have house plants because my cats will eat them. We are in a drought here so I was hoping to conserve water and use in my vegetable garden. All my other stuff is fairly drought tolerant.

Since we are talking about dirty water...

I have a small pond/waterfall that isn't much in use because of the draught, even though it is self cycling. There's a bunch of green slime in there. Could I add this to my compost pile (not my veggies)? While there probably should be chemicals in it, it is chemical free. There are no fish in the pond.

If it's plain aquarium water I'd do it. I wouldn't with the melaleuca / tea tree products though until you've looked into it more. They might help the plants by repelling insects or killing baddies but they also might kill good soil bacteria. Natural medicines aren't free of consequences and tea tree oil is potent, lasting stuff. I use tiny amounts as a household dosonfectant. Killing any microorganism in the soil could give you some troublesome imbalances.

Go for it. I have an aquaponics system. My tomatoes grow like weeds.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The fish waste is pretty much already broken down when it leaves your aquarium because of the massive bacteria colony. It's just nitrates and phosphates and it makes plants GROW.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lots of folks use horse manure. Using old tank water wouldn't be much different than irrigating with pond water would it?

Back
Top Bottom