Aquarium with Ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragember

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm rather new to the whole Aquarium business (month in).

The tank is a ten gallon with 4 glo-fish tetras and a beta fish. Not sure if caught in the wild, I received them from Petsmart. They've been in the same tank for about a month.

The tetras chase each other from time to time, still do… the beta fish flares his gills from time to time as well. There's some chasing from time to time, usually among tetras, and that's it. No fin nipping that I can see.

Last week Tuesday tetras were showing signs of Ich, and after doing some research I decided that a raise in temperature and a half teaspoon of salt per gallon would be the safest treatment. I raised the aquarium temp to 86 degrees F. After two days all signs of Ich disappeared from the Tetras and are still gone.

I kept the temperature raised as per many instructions I found online (recommended raised temperatures for two weeks), and this Sunday I found that only the Beta fish has Ich now (he didn't have Ich on Tuesday). The tetras are still clean. Today is Tuesday and the Beta still has Ich. Both the Beta and tetras are still eating and rather energetic, though the Beta does rub against decor routinely.

Once I found Ich on the Beta on Sunday I did some more research and decided to raise the temperature to 88 degrees, raising 1 degree per six hours and monitored behavior. All fish are fine and aren't showing signs of stress. Still energetic and eating, though beta is still rubbing against decor.

I've been vacuuming the gravel daily to aid in spore removal and replacing with water and an equivalent amount of salt per gallon remove. I typically do about a 25% change.

From what I've read, the heat and salt treatment should have worked, but it doesn't seem to be having much results as far as the beta is concerned. I've been hesitant to go to medication as I've read that tetras can be sensitive. Any recommendations? I think this Ich strain may be heat resistant. It's been two days since raising the temp Sunday, and the Beta still has Ich, though it has cleared up a little.

* Note: There are live plants in the aquarium, though they were in separate containers when purchased.

Heat worked for me in a 10 gallon with 1 betta and 6 neon tetras... Crank it up to 86 slowly, 1 degree every 12-24 hours, and keep it there for at least 10-12 days after you see last signs of ich, then lower temp slowly. You can also put in a bit of salt (get kosher salt, don't use salt with caking agents) but I didn't need it... The heat might damage your plants a little but they should come back...

Heat worked for me in a 10 gallon with 1 betta and 6 neon tetras... Crank it up to 86 slowly, 1 degree every 12-24 hours, and keep it there for at least 10-12 days after you see last signs of ich, then lower temp slowly. You can also put in a bit of salt (get kosher salt, don't use salt with caking agents) but I didn't need it... The heat might damage your plants a little but they should come back...

Well, if you read my original post, that is precisely what I did. It's been 7 days and there hasn't been an improvement and the beta is now infected.

Back
Top Bottom