Aquascaping a 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KSum89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone have tips for aquascaping a 55, i have about 85 pounds of live rock but 20 pounds are in my sump. I cant get it how i like it, any pictures or tips of your 55's would help alot.. Thanks ahead of time!

Anyone have tips for aquascaping a 55, i have about 85 pounds of live rock but 20 pounds are in my sump. I cant get it how i like it, any pictures or tips of your 55's would help alot.. Thanks ahead of time!

I was the same way i literally moved the rocks about 40 times and 4 hours later and still i feel like my rocks are missing something. I will post a picture when i get home from work. Hope my pics helps you any

what kind of rock are you using, im assuming its already in the tank with water all filled up. I only have a 12 gallon tank with 4 medium size pieces and sometimes ill aquascape for an hour haha i cant think about doing it for a 55 gallon tank which i want one day, I prolly will never get it right and will be at it for days.

KSum89 said:

Here's a pic of my 55 gal tank I went with lots of plants though not sure if that what you're looking for

thats FW tank right? Pretty sure he is aquascaping for a SW tank

15 pounds of it came from my lfs, i placed that in my sump. Then i found its cheaper to buy base rock online. So i bought like 60+ pounds online.. Ill take a pic of the rock, i forgot which site i got them from. Very pourous rock.

image-3312599225.jpg

Also, Should i scrape off that bleached corraline in the back or let it be?

-by the way all my livestock are in my 17 gallon bowfront. So i wont harm anything moving these rocks around. After i scape it, the fish will be moved back in. I changed all my water to ro di, so my fish havent been in this tank for about 4 months, its fully cycled now though.

i think thats up to you if you dont mind it leave it, if it bothers you take a sharp razor blade and take it off, as far as the aquascape goes i like to have a less rock actually on the sand as possible. So maybe 4 good size pieces on the bottom and work your way up from there making sure you have some good gapes for flow and no dead spots. Your just going to have to keep messing with it until you like it. Also make sure and think about spots for corals if your going to be doing that in the future.

Thanks i will try to keep larger rocks off the sand. Any pics to give me any ideas anyone ?

Google pictures "55 gallon aquascape" saw some cool ones in there

stack them... you can see how i have mine in one of my videos on youtube titled
Algae feeding for salt water aquarium
its 1:38 long. i hope this helps.

Aquascaping is all about making flat places for coral and caves for fish to hide. Until you get your rock...it is difficult to plan out what you are doing. Being able to lay it out and put it together like legos is the best way. You'll redo it several times, we all do.

Heres what i ended up sticking with.

image-1608205249.jpg

For anyone interested..

I put the smaller rocks on bottom and balanced them with the big rocks. Making holes between rocks, and making sure they are stable.

KSum89 said:
Heres what i ended up sticking with.

For anyone interested..

I put the smaller rocks on bottom and balanced them with the big rocks. Making holes between rocks, and making sure they are stable.

Not to shabby :) this is how my looks ATM , I am still looking to add about 15-20lb more .

Attachments

• image-1210064310.jpg
    image-1210064310.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 92
Back
Top Bottom