Aquatic Life T5 HO par over 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone currently run an Aquatic Life T5 HO Dual light overa standard 10 gallon? Do you happen to know what kind of par you are getting? What plants are you growing?

I am setting up a 10g dwarf puffer tank with exisiting stuff I already have, including the tank and lights. I am just trying to get an idea of what kind of lighting I will be getting.

Specs:
Standard 10 gallon tank (20 x 10 x 12)
Aquatic Life 24 inch dual bulb T5 HO light (1 6500k, 1 rosette, both 25w ea)
Pressurized co2 & PPS Pro ferts daily

The light will sit about 11-12 inches above substrate. According to what I am finding online, it looks like I should be getting around 50 par, medium light? Does this seem right? I am hoping to get some nice reds growing in this tank, but my plant stock list will have to depend on what kind of lighting I will get.

You would have very high light indeed with a setup like that. You should be able to grow about anything, assuming good ferts/co2 and low algae.

I agree on the very high light. At 22" above the substrate my aquatic life fixture is giving me a solid medium lighting. It might be advisable to go with pressurized CO2 on a tank with that much lighting.

I agree on the very high light. At 22" above the substrate my aquatic life fixture is giving me a solid medium lighting. It might be advisable to go with pressurized CO2 on a tank with that much lighting.

Wow yeah that's a lot. I'd definitely go pressurized or your looking at significant algae outbreaks. I hope your gonna plant the heck out of that bad boy!

oh wow......I must not be understanding this whole par thing, lol. It seems like I should be getting high light with this fixture, but I am finding the par range to show more medium light.
Thanks for you guys' input.......I will plan my plants around a high light set-up.
Yes, I will be using pressurized Co2 and daily dry ferts.
Thinking about getting the Amazonia Aqua Soil. Anyone use it? Pros, cons?

Also...........just as a thought. What kind of lighting would I get with a 16 inch Finnex Fugeray over a 10 gallon? Would that be more of a low or medium light? It would sit lower over the tank, so more like 10 inches above substrate.

oh wow......I must not be understanding this whole par thing, lol. It seems like I should be getting high light with this fixture, but I am finding the par range to show more medium light.
Thanks for you guys' input.......I will plan my plants around a high light set-up.
Yes, I will be using pressurized Co2 and daily dry ferts.
Thinking about getting the Amazonia Aqua Soil. Anyone use it? Pros, cons?

I believe it is a good choice for those desiring a softer (low alkaline) substrate. But should be good for most plants. Don't worry AquaChem will agree or correct me lol

Ok.........now I think I might be psyching myself out a little bit with this lighting. Do y'all think this is too much lighting/high tech for a dwarf puffer? I know they are sensetive to water quality, but what about too much light and co2? Obviously I hope to get a good balance of lights/ferts/co2, but I have made the mistake of gassing my poor fish before with too much co2.
My lil guy is currently residing in my 5 gallon at work with a dwarf frog, and all is well, but its not an ideal home for him.
Are high light tanks a lot harder to maintain than medium light tanks? My larger planted tank has a ray 2, but is a taller tank, and I am getting a pretty solid medium light with good co2 dissolution and no signs of algae. Maybe I am getting in over my head with this.....

Ok.........now I think I might be psyching myself out a little bit with this lighting. Do y'all think this is too much lighting/high tech for a dwarf puffer? I know they are sensetive to water quality, but what about too much light and co2? Obviously I hope to get a good balance of lights/ferts/co2, but I have made the mistake of gassing my poor fish before with too much co2.
My lil guy is currently residing in my 5 gallon at work with a dwarf frog, and all is well, but its not an ideal home for him.
Are high light tanks a lot harder to maintain than medium light tanks? My larger planted tank has a ray 2, but is a taller tank, and I am getting a pretty solid medium light with good co2 dissolution and no signs of algae. Maybe I am getting in over my head with this.....

Two T5HOs over a 10 is going to be a rediculous amount of light. I don't think I would even attempt it, it'll be way too hard to control, if controllable at all... If you're going for a DP tank, I'd go with something a little more simple and biotopeish... I'd highly recommend the Current USA satellite+ LEDs for a light fixture. They're very reasonably priced, attractive, and would be perfect for a setup like this. Plus, they're coming out with some ramp timers that will give you the ability to have your lights dim on and off, control moonlights, and even the dynamic settings such as thunderstorms or cloud cover... Depending on which timer you go with... I'm really excited about that light and it's abilities.

Two T5HOs over a 10 is going to be a rediculous amount of light. I don't think I would even attempt it, it'll be way too hard to control, if controllable at all... If you're going for a DP tank, I'd go with something a little more simple and biotopeish... I'd highly recommend the Current USA satellite+ LEDs for a light fixture. They're very reasonably priced, attractive, and would be perfect for a setup like this. Plus, they're coming out with some ramp timers that will give you the ability to have your lights dim on and off, control moonlights, and even the dynamic settings such as thunderstorms or cloud cover... Depending on which timer you go with... I'm really excited about that light and it's abilities.

+1 for sure!

Bill, those leds sound sweet!
the light I have is 2 T5 ho bulbs, but I think you guys have convinced me it is too much for what I want.
The more I look into it, the more I think I might be happier going with something more like a biotope.
Now Im thinking I might start with my finnex fugeray and take it from there......

Bill, those leds sound sweet!
the light I have is 2 T5 ho bulbs, but I think you guys have convinced me it is too much for what I want.
The more I look into it, the more I think I might be happier going with something more like a biotope.
Now Im thinking I might start with my finnex fugeray and take it from there......

Sounds good! You could always sell some of your extra fixtures to offset the price of the satellite LEDs. ;)

Finnex's published PAR for a fugeray at 12" is 43. That's very medium light. The 18" Ray II is 72. That being said, Brian has had very poor luck with the Ray II coloring up his plants, likely do to a less-than-optimal chromophore for doing so.

Finnex's published PAR for a fugeray at 12" is 43. That's very medium light. The 18" Ray II is 72. That being said, Brian has had very poor luck with the Ray II coloring up his plants, likely do to a less-than-optimal chromophore for doing so.

I haven't been able to get any color out of my blyxa either with the finnex ray 2, regardless of light or co2 amount, which most people claim will color up blyxa. I'm excited to run the RGB LEDs that the satellite fixture offers.

72 par from a ray 2 would be considered high light, right? I thought the aquatic life dual bulb light I have was fairly comparable in par to the ray 2. Does light and par change much when comparing leds with t5 flourescents?

Another option I have is that I have a 14 gallon tank, footprint of a 10, but is 16 inches tall vs. 12 inches. Would the added 4 inches make enough of a difference to be able to use the aquatic life lamp without total overkill?
The tank has a few scratches (one of my first tanks) but is not a bad tank. Is that too much tank for 1 dwarf puffer?

I agree with the ray2 not producing the right spectrum for colored plants. I run one on my larger planted tank, but with the excpetion of a single red lotus bulb, I have only green plants in the tank, which is why I was really wanting to use my t5 light with the rosette bulb for this tank.

The new Finnex planted ray set to release late this year looks nice though. I am definitely going to be looking to grab one of those when they come out :)

I'm late to this thread but I also use the AquaticLife T5HO on a 10 gallon. The light is perfect for high light plants. I use pressurized co2. Never had an algae issue or plant growth issue in this tank.

Back
Top Bottom