Aqueon "Pro" Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sooo I bought this 300w Aqueon Pro heater for my 75g cichlid tank, and I am a little confused here.

I placed it in the aquarium yesterday, 24 hours ago. Unplugged. Trying to acclimate the internal thermostat on the heater to the tank water, I have read this is recommended. Set the heater to 74F degrees, so when I plugged it in today, it would be all ready to go.

Go plug it in anddddd big nothing. The red indicator light never comes on, for over an hour. Temperature of tank: unchanged.

I have TWO verified thermometers. My tank is around 70F degrees right now. So the heater SHOULD be coming on for sure at 74! Aqueon's manual states that thermostat is "accurate to within +/- 1 degree" :ermm:

I reach in, and turn the dial on the heater to 76F degrees, VOILA! the red indicator light comes on... for about 10 minutes and shuts off. Temperature of tank: unchanged.

I am afraid to turn the heater up to the next notch, 78F degrees, in case it actually is a bad heater and just stays on and makes fish soup out of my newly acquired tank. I have a heater controller on order but wont be here til Monday.

So what gives? I always thought Aqueon Pro heaters were really good heaters. Did I get a dud?? Or are the thermostats on them wonky or something?

Those things are such garbage now. I have literally had 12 fail in the last 2 years, they're still sitting in the box I plan to mail to someone someday. Try the fluval all glass, they last a long time. I just got a finnex titanium for my discus tank, somehow that does..

I'll second Brookster on this one. They used to be top of the line, but I had several in a row fail in the last few years and I just switched to using Eheim jagers and haven't had a problem since. I once had an Aqueon pro heater almost cook my tank after about 3 months of use so I would err on the side of caution and switch to a more reliable piece of equipment.

I'll second Brookster on this one. They used to be top of the line, but I had several in a row fail in the last few years and I just switched to using Eheim jagers and haven't had a problem since. I once had an Aqueon pro heater almost cook my tank after about 3 months of use so I would err on the side of caution and switch to a more reliable piece of equipment.

I am agreeing with both of you too; I had to turn the heater up to 84F degrees just to get the tank to 74F degrees! It has set to 84F all weekend, is off most of the time, and comes on to heat here and there briefly. I verify with 2 thermometers. I have a temperature controller coming tomorrow (inkfish or inkblot or whatever that brand everybody recommends) so I can use that as a failsafe.

Bottom line to anybody reading this: Avoid Aqueon heaters, junk! :nono:

Ill tell you.. I'm really liking this finnex setup . Dial is on the outside inline in the cord. Makes adjustment a breeze.

Ill tell you.. I'm really liking this finnex setup . Dial is on the outside inline in the cord. Makes adjustment a breeze.

I had one of those years ago, albeit not a Finnex brand, but I believe the brand was "Aqua Via" or "Via Aqua", or some variation of those words. Having the thermostat adjustment external the tank was REAL nice. This Aqueon Pro turd is garbage. Its 2020, there is no reason we should have to stick our hands in the tank to make a minor temperature change! Plus, my fish get real confused by my hairy arm every time :D

No mater what brand heater you have a controller is a must .

I use these https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-ITC-1000/dp/B00OXPE8U6 . They are easy to DIY the wiring and a case for it . They also make a plug and play version, https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Temperature-Controller-Freshwater-Ornamental/dp/B07R195CQF . I like to tinker so use I the DIY ones . I have been using for years with no problem . You can Google DIY inkbird and some hits will come up on other forums on how to do it . And yes can be run with any heater . Just set the heater higher than the temp you want and set the controller to the temp you want .

I use these https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-ITC-1000/dp/B00OXPE8U6 . They are easy to DIY the wiring and a case for it . They also make a plug and play version, https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Temperature-Controller-Freshwater-Ornamental/dp/B07R195CQF . I like to tinker so use I the DIY ones . I have been using for years with no problem . You can Google DIY inkbird and some hits will come up on other forums on how to do it . And yes can be run with any heater . Just set the heater higher than the temp you want and set the controller to the temp you want .
Nice nice, I too like my soldering iron. What do you use that in tandem with? Can you run multiple tanks off one master?

Nice nice, I too like my soldering iron. What do you use that in tandem with? Can you run multiple tanks off one master?

I was an electronic tech for 40+ years so I love my soldering iron...lol . I use Eheim Jager and tetra heaters depending on the tank and wattage I need . I don't think you could use on multiple tanks . The way they work is they have a probe that goes in the tank and sends the temp to the controller which in turn turns on the heater/heaters to get to the setpoint temp . If you had the probe in one tank you would have to always be checking the temp in the other tanks without the probe to make sure they were within temp range . I wouldn't trust it . I have one on each tank . They are cheap enough especially the DIY ones .

I'm in, I'll give it a go. I've done a few led board kits. I usually leave electrical work to my electrician. Lower voltage with a little guidance. I'm not scared anyways.

These are easier than a board kit...lol Here is a good site to show it . How to Make a DIY Aquarium Temperature Controller . You only have to put it in a case and wire the ac cord and a receptacle and the probe . I used some recipe boxes I found at Goodwill for the cases .
If you have any questions just ask . also there are a couple of good threads about it on theplantedtank.net .

Attachments

• DSCN0008.JPG
    DSCN0008.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN0011.JPG
    DSCN0011.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN0017.JPG
    DSCN0017.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN0019.JPG
    DSCN0019.JPG