Aqueon Pure Bacteria Balls.....useless?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoboSpider

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
I have had 2 ADF's in my tank for a week and no Nitrites or Nitrates. Just a climbing and sinking 1.0ppm Ammonia max. I have been doing 20-30% PWC's every other day and I just added the second 'bacteria ball'. Beneficial, of course. It seems no Nitrates are being produced at all, yet but the ammonia is doing just fine growing. I'm keeping as much filter media in place as possible and vacuumed just the other day.

So, is there a trick to getting the Ammonia to turn into Nitrates or is it just time?

Thanks! :thanks:

You never said what you are doing. Are you trying to cycle your filter/tank? This will take 3-8 weeks to complete. Doing water changes will remove the ammonia which is needed to cycle your filter.

PWC

Yes, I'm trying to cycle it. OK, I'll continue with the PWC's. I was under the impression it only took 2-3 weeks to cycle but I'll keep at it ad infinitum until cycled. It must take longer with frogs. Thanks much. :D

Frogs

So it looks like I was wrong to assume that fish and frogs cycle at the same rate. Frogs take longer. Should I just take them back to the fish store so they don't suffer and cycle the tank fishless (frogless) until ready for them? I had early come across some sites that said you could cycle with creatures but only a few. Seems like that is a bad idea.

They look like they are doing fine but they may be in stress. Wouldn't want that. Thanks!

So it looks like I was wrong to assume that fish and frogs cycle at the same rate. Frogs take longer. Should I just take them back to the fish store so they don't suffer and cycle the tank fishless (frogless) until ready for them? I had early come across some sites that said you could cycle with creatures but only a few. Seems like that is a bad idea.

They look like they are doing fine but they may be in stress. Wouldn't want that. Thanks!
You are cycling your filter, not you creatures. Up to you...

Redo

So I'm not too proud to admit that there's a learning curve to aquariums and a lot of contradictory information online. I took the frogs back to the store and will be following the 3-6 week rubric for fishless cycling until it is just right for a few live occupants. This link seems pretty good and its likely that it will result in a better aquarium that is more stable and better chemistry for the frogs. Might be back for more advice on fishless cycling if there are any snags. Got some good Ammonia off Amazon that should be ideal. Thanks for the tips, y'all and happy holidays! :)

Back
Top Bottom