Aquired a new 110g, now lets stock it :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess1ca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Title says it all! Moving most of my gang over to the new tank, I will list the species here in a minute. I plan on getting more females for the males that I already have but other than getting the females I would love some input on what else I could stock, and what is an appropriate number for this size tank.

Stock moving in:
3 Pundamilia Nyererei
2 Labs
2 Red Zebra
1 Afra
1 Demasoni
1 Bichardi
1 Acei
2 Borleyi
1 Ice Blue
2 Julidochromis marlieri
2 Intermedius Lethrinops
1 Cobalt Blue Zebra
1 Dimidiochromis Compressiceps

Now with that taken care of, Id like to add a couple more Blue Zebras, Bichardi's, Demasoni's, Afra's and Acei's. My family really likes the look of Frontosa's but Im afraid they may not work with my group. Another question I have would be if I could add a Calvus? I already have one Compressiceps and someone told me awhile ago that I could not keep 2 together. Is there any truth in that? :thanks:

Last edited:
AndrewsPistol said:
Title says it all! Moving most of my gang over to the new tank, I will list the species here in a minute. I plan on getting more females for the males that I already have but other than getting the females I would love some input on what else I could stock, and what is an appropriate number for this size tank.

Stock moving in:
3 Pundamilia Nyererei
2 Labs
2 Red Zebra
1 Afra
1 Demasoni
1 Acei
2 Borleyi
1 Ice Blue
2 Julidochromis marlieri
2 Intermedius Lethrinops
1 Cobalt Blue Zebra
1 Dimidiochromis Compressiceps

Now with that taken care of, Id like to add a couple more Blue Zebras (female) Demasoni's, Afra's and Acei's. My family really likes the look of Frontosa's but Im afraid they may not work with my group. Another question I have would be if I could add a Calvus? I already have one Compressiceps and someone told me awhile ago that I could not keep 2 together. Is there any truth in that? :thanks:

Is this a 6' tank? If so you can keep a lot more then what you have. As for the calvus and frontosa I wouldn't recommend it since its not a Malawi species but then again some of what you already have isn't. :) It can cause major problems later down the road imo

Yep, 6ft! Dang, I really wanted the Calvus lol, I didn't really want the Frontosa so I'm not heartbroken over it ;) the only thing i worry about is making sure the fish I get can put up with the Nyererei's. The ones I have became accustomed to they're harassment lol but I have tried to introduce new fish and they have stressed them to death :( that's why I've made the decision to get a bigger tank. I've tossed around the idea of keeping them, the Compressiceps and the Bichardi in the 55. I have lots of ideas but don't know which one to run with haha! What do I think a good number is for 110g?

Last edited:
AndrewsPistol said:
Yep, 6ft! Dang, I really wanted the Calvus lol, I didn't really want the Frontosa so I'm not heartbroken over it ;) the only thing i worry about is making sure the fish I get can put up with the Nyererei's. The ones I have became accustomed to they're harassment lol but I have tried to introduce new fish and they have stressed them to death :( that's why I've made the decision to get a bigger tank. I've tossed around the idea of keeping them, the Compressiceps and the Bichardi in the 55. I have lots of ideas but don't know which one to run with haha! What do I think a good number is for 110g?

Any chance of having them both tanks set up? Oops sorry missed that part lol

I would separate the malawis from the others. Depending on what fish you get I think you can do 35-40 ;)

Last edited:
Oh yea, the 55 will still be up ;) the 110 is tank # 5! The build will probably be kind of a slow process since I'm gonna keep the 55 active. I was gonna take the filters off the 55 and run them on the 110 but instead decided to get canisters for it and a couple active filters from AngelsPlus to jump start the cycle. Coming up with the funds to build this the way I want is gonna be a lil difficult for me to budget in and that's why I say it may be slow lol! Hoping I can get a good profit off my fry to help with the build!

AndrewsPistol said:
Oh yea, the 55 will still be up ;) the 110 is tank # 5! The build will probably be kind of a slow process since I'm gonna keep the 55 active. I was gonna take the filters off the 55 and run them on the 110 but instead decided to get canisters for it and a couple active filters from AngelsPlus to jump start the cycle. Coming up with the funds to build this the way I want is gonna be a lil difficult for me to budget in and that's why I say it may be slow lol! Hoping I can get a good profit off my fry to help with the build!

Edited my post above

isiah1820 said:
They frontosa gets really big if I'm not mistaking

Yep, I think I read 12 inches?! Like I said, I wasnt too keen on the idea of a Frontosa, my family digs em and it would be a great centerpiece... Just not for me tho :)

I have a duboisi in with my Malawis and he's doing great maybe you want to try one of thos guys it should work u have a big enough tank

isiah1820 said:
I have a duboisi in with my Malawis and he's doing great maybe you want to try one of thos guys it should work u have a big enough tank

Just googled it, very cool!!! Was Urs spotted when you got it? Just wondering how long before the colors change. I think I'm gonna HAVE to have one ;)

Andrew McFadden said:
This one is a lake tanganyika species Julidochromis marlieri. I've always wanted to set up all 3 lakes too

Ohhh yea, the Shellie's r Tanganyika, on second thought, I think my Compressiceps might be too?! How cool would it be to have all 3 setups? Oh no... I feel an itch to do that! I wonder how many tanks I'll have to get before I'm satisfied lol

AndrewsPistol said:
Ohhh yea, the Shellie's r Tanganyika, on second thought, I think my Compressiceps might be too?! How cool would it be to have all 3 setups? Oh no... I feel an itch to do that! I wonder how many tanks I'll have to get before I'm satisfied lol

I believe they are Malawi I'm 98.9% sure without looking ot up.

Convict2161 said:
Do this!!!!

That's sick bro

I love that video. That's my next tank!! Music included for your viewing pleasure in surround sound!!

I'm serious too!!

:)

AndrewsPistol said:
Just googled it, very cool!!! Was Urs spotted when you got it? Just wondering how long before the colors change. I think I'm gonna HAVE to have one ;)

Yes he's still spotted another thing I noticed is at night wen I turn the tank light off he turns almost completely black, also read there a slow growing cichlid glad u liked it.

Back
Top Bottom