are freezedried bloodworms and brine shrimp bad for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Freeze dried foods can cause bloat and constipation. I avoid them at all costs. I would say it's especially crucial with bettas, dwarf gourami, and ADF's..but I'm sure there's more. I would just avoid them all together if you can ;)

Bloat is more likely if you feed it to them routinely or too often. But when used as an occasional treat and not overfeeding them with it, it is not a problem and they like it. It also depends on the quality of the food you feed them. With higher quality freeze-dried foods you are less likely to encounter the bloat problem to begin with.

I've used it as an occasional treat and have never had any problems with it. But I am also careful how and what I feed my fish. I also buy it in smaller quantities so that it won't go bad before I use it all.

I've had a much different experience with them, unfortunately. I fed what I would consider to be high quality freeze dried foods in moderation for a short time and did have problems.

You have to be very sparing in what you give them. Think of it being like giving sweets to children. You got to be careful how much you give them.

Yeah I fed tiny bits mixed in with flake a couple times a week and I believe it led to problems. Frozen is pretty easy to come by though, and all fish seem to prefer it, so I think why not offer frozen if you can.

Yeah I fed tiny bits mixed in with flake a couple times a week and I believe it led to problems. Frozen is pretty easy to come by though, and all fish seem to prefer it, so I think why not offer frozen if you can.

That's what I would normally advise anyway. It keeps longer then freeze-dried and I think that it's better for the fish. It certainly is easy enough for most aquarists to get. It's a little more expensive, but worth it.

Yeah my lfs (not petsmart or that sort, but a mom and pop type shop) always carry frozen, and just started carrying hikari frozen foods. My fish love the bloodworms I toss in every weekend, especially my kuli loach and cories, they freak haha

Of all frozen foods, what would you guys say is best, I know bloodworms are high in fat, so that's not the best, but what's best for comm. Tank with adult fish? I tried the brine shrimp with some sort of nutrient packed last meal, and my fish didn't seem to care about them as much as the bw... any tips

Emerald Entree is great if you've got omnivores in the tank. It's a mix of proteins and veggies ;)

Back
Top Bottom