Are LED's good lights for growing plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
Either low, medium or high light plants. I was thinking about this question at work. Currently I have low care plants. Java fern, melon sword and red crypts. Here is what my bulb says. I was thinking of getting a glass hood w/LED's.

Attachments

• image-2480226261.jpg
    image-2480226261.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 79
Most of the time LEDs are running with very low power. I have never been able to grow any plants other than java moss (low light). Does your bulb have anything else written on it (such as "6700K" or "10,000K")?

I just checked and nothing. It's an old light fixture/bulb. So what would be the best bulb to grow low to medium plants? The tank is a 29 gallon.

The specs for aquaglo bulbs are online. Seems to be decent for plants. Just replacing the bulb probably wont have much difference.

I'd probably step up to a 2 bulb t5no or if you intend to go high tech later a 2 bulb t5ho with individual switches.

The specs for aquaglo bulbs are online. Seems to be decent for plants. Just replacing the bulb probably wont have much difference.

I'd probably step up to a 2 bulb t5no or if you intend to go high tech later a 2 bulb t5ho with individual switches.

If you don't mind me asking: what is a t5no bulb (fixture)? And what is the diff. between the 2?
I have the same size of tank and light fixture and bulb, and I wanted to do plants in it, but didn't want to move up (already have a big one)
I do currently have 2 swords in there but that haven't grown any in probably a year..but they look ok and are still alive...wow!!!

Snapped a few more pics of the labels I found. Both were on the fixture itself, not the light bulb. The built by LJ sticker says 2006. The boat anchor on it, could it mean its for saltwater?

Attachments

• image-1905996896.jpg
    image-1905996896.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image-3795952701.jpg
    image-3795952701.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 63
HAGEN - Make Me GLO Again

There's some info on the aquaglo bulbs. The anchor sticker on the fixture just looks like manufacturer sticker.

Here's good read on different types of bulbs and fixtures.
Aquarium Lighting; Reef, Planted Light Information. PAR, Bulb, Watt, Kelvin, Nanometers, MH, LED.

2 bulb t5ho in 2 and 4 ft lengths are one of the best bang for buck fixtures right now. However, a 2 bulb t5ho over a 29 is a ton of light and I wouldn't try it without using pressurized co2, or reducing the light intensity by cutting it back to 1 bulb or raising the fixture up higher.

jetajockey said:
HAGEN - Make Me GLO Again

There's some info on the aquaglo bulbs. The anchor sticker on the fixture just looks like manufacturer sticker.

Here's good read on different types of bulbs and fixtures.
Aquarium Lighting; Reef, Planted Light Information. PAR, Bulb, Watt, Kelvin, Nanometers, MH, LED.

2 bulb t5ho in 2 and 4 ft lengths are one of the best bang for buck fixtures right now. However, a 2 bulb t5ho over a 29 is a ton of light and I wouldn't try it without using pressurized co2, or reducing the light intensity by cutting it back to 1 bulb or raising the fixture up higher.

The aqua-glow or flora glow might work. I'm thinking of getting a new hood as well. The one that came with my tank is kinda warped. It does it's job, but I'd like something a bit nicer. The dollar signs are adding up:/

Back
Top Bottom