are my snails breeding? take a look

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Athaocity

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are my Assassin snails beeding?
i have 2 assassin snails in my 20Long tank.
and here, they look like they are breeding.
Most of the time the snails would just bury theirselves in the substrates all over the tank and come out sometimes to climb the tank wall.
this is the first time i have seen them do this, they have not moved for a few hours now.
from what i know, assassin snail dont make a lot of egg, rather just one or a few only. Kind of hard to breed them i guess.

anyone with assassin snails help?
539139_2915627570106_1243203662_32338751_2083512151_n.jpg

Maybe maybe..... and actually it's not hard to spawn them at all. I started off with 7 and have at least 20 now. When the babies are born, they will crawl beneath the substrate, where they'll live for the first few months. When they do come out on top, you'll be amazed at just how tiny they still are.

i did not expect to breed the snails but if they do then great! i love them! :D
since they are also in a community tank, (with harlequin rasboras, gourami and amano shrimp) will the baby snails get eaten? they adults are left alone so to say.

Nah, I don't think anything will bother them if the adults are left alone. The gourami is probably the only one that would bother poking the little guys around once they do come out.

I've always wondered.. What happens to assassins when pond snails are gone? o_O

I saw my nails do the same thing then on of them had eggs and i had probaly a few females and about 100 eggs so i need to get rid of thrm

just got back from work, they have not moved from their spot or nothing has happened to them either. now im really hoping to get more assassin snails! :D

My assassin snails have done this twice now but i haven't seen any eggs. Do they lay them below in the substrate? I have ghost shrimp, will they eat the eggs? Is it possible for them to mate and not successfully lay eggs?

I've never seen eggs sacs from the assassins. Knowing the young grow out beneath the substrate, it's possible that's where the eggs are left, too.

Ghost shrimp are very opportunistic and will eat anything that doesn't move out of their way. :lol:

MABJ, they will also eat algae wafers and some flake food. But, a live diet is best. My lfs will give me pest snails for them.

Back
Top Bottom