Are Plecos compatible with guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfanboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Pleco in my 10g tank and I'm gonna pick up some guppies tommorow and I'm wondering if the Pleco would attack my guppies

A pleco would be perfectly fine with guppies. Any kind of pleco is safe with fish. If you had aggressive fish you'd have to worry about the pleco being attacked not the fish. Plecos mind their own business.

You need to get that Pleco out of there! They need huuuuge tanks!

You need to get that Pleco out of there! They need huuuuge tanks!

Depending on the pleco yes, but that's only if it's a common pleco or another big kind. Do you know what kind of pleco you have?

I wouldn't keep a Pleco in a 10 gallon tank. Only in rare cases like starvation do plecos attack other fish, but guppies are probably too small a target anyway

They used to suck the blood out of my dad's oscars

I wouldn't keep a Pleco in a 10 gallon tank. Only in rare cases like starvation do plecos attack other fish, but guppies are probably too small a target anyway

They used to suck the blood out of my dad's oscars

Lol what? Plecos aren't vampires. They can suck on the slime coat but they don't suck blood. There are a couple of small pleco species that can go in a 10. Clown plecos stay small and are common. They'd do fine in a 10 IMO.

Lol what? Plecos aren't vampires. They can suck on the slime coat but they don't suck blood. There are a couple of small pleco species that can go in a 10. Clown plecos stay small and are common. They'd do fine in a 10 IMO.

He said it's a Pleco I'm assuming a common one, the chances are more likely at least. The incident with my dads Pleco happened in the 60's... No way he was supposed to remember it was the slime coat and not the actual blood lol

He said it's a Pleco I'm assuming a common one, the chances are more likely at least. The incident with my dads Pleco happened in the 60's... No way he was supposed to remember it was the slime coat and not the actual blood lol

Haha fair enough and I agree it probably is a common. That's what most beginners are sold when they have an algae issue or just want a pleco. I was just stating one that could live in a 10 :)

Haha fair enough and I agree it probably is a common. That's what most beginners are sold when they have an algae issue or just want a pleco. I was just stating one that could live in a 10 :)

True as well I knew of a species that only grew to about 6 inches but I forgot what it was called... Purple Pleco or something lol

Back
Top Bottom