Are these popular/commonly available ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvijay07

Aquarium Advice Freak
The Betta I have is a red/blue, short tail, wild, natural betta. I seem to like this type more. Are these available all the time commonly ?

I also saw some Bettas with long tails in another pet shop. However, it appears that their tail is porbably heavy and extra efforts are needed by the Betta to carry/use them. Could this be the reason why they have short lives ?

Vijay :?:

The only betta I have ever seen with short fins were females.

The Bettas in nature have all short tail. Those with long fins have been bred specially for the Hobby.

Picture of Wild Betta.

Picture of Wild Betta.

pugnax.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/horseybetta/wild.html

yes. they are the colour type mostly seen in petstores. The short tailed ones are called plakats. The lenght of the tail doesn't really have anything to do with the lifespan, bettas are pretty good at dragging tails around.
Do you have a pic of your fishie? I love plakats. And they are usually hard to find in petshops.
Cambodian is a colour of betta, salmon body with red fins (some also have blue and black fins but thats rare)

ashley

Why are plakats hard to find in pet shops ? Probably low demand as people prefer fancy tails ? But plakats are very natural. I honestly wish I had a way of taking a picture. Presently, this is not possible. If I ever take a picture, I will send it to you.
However, this is very unlikely.

Vijay

Thanks for those links. Those are very expensive indeed. Most fancy Bettas cost more just for their shape and appearance. Mine looks real basic. I got it for $3 Canadian. I prefer to have simple fish and spend the remaining on tank, plants, decorations etc., All those really contribute to the happiness of the fish.

Ashley, by the way, your web-site in your profile doesn't exist.

Vijay

Ashley, I saw in your profile that you have a lot of tanks to care for. Do you take care of them all yourself ? That is great experience indeed. :)

Yes unfortunatly its just me taking care of them. My family doesn't seem intrested in helping unless I bribe them to lol :wink:

ashley

You have had a great start and excellent experience. I wish I had started as early as you in Fish Keeping. Thanks for your responses/interaction. :)

Back
Top Bottom