Are these really Ghost Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ddredar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are these really Ghost Shrimp? We got four of them along with 4 Cherry shrimp. These are pictures of two different shrimp that are about 1.5 inches long. We have a smaller one about 1 inch long. The fourth one, which is hiding from me right now, has grown to about 2.5 to 3 inches long. And that's not counting the antenna length. I thought they were only supposed to get 1.5 inches max. Now we can only find one Cherry shrimp and what looks like a partially eaten one on the filter intake. I'm worried that these are not really Ghost shrimp and may be hunting the Cherries. my wife swears the big one looked like it was trying to catch a couple of our small Neon Tetras. any opinions on this?

Attachments

• shrimp2.jpg
    shrimp2.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 127
  • shrimp4.jpg
    shrimp4.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 125
No shrimp expert by any means. But certainly looks like ghost shrimp to me.

As others have mentioned, the pics appear to be ghost shrimp. However, the large one may actually be a macrobrachium (FW prawn). They are sometimes mixed in accidentally with ghost shrimp shipments. They get much larger and may end up eating small fish and other shrimp. Typically the appendages with the claws tend to be elongated.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I was watching the tank on Sunday, and the big one shot out of a hiding place and tried to get one of my neon's. I decided to take them all back to the fish store. I expected to just give them to the store, but they graciously gave me 7 cherries in exchange. I thought that was very nice of them.

The new cherries have been very busy cleaning up the algae in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom