Asian Biotype

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I am really excited because I am going to set up my 10g! It will be an asian biotype. I want:
8 celestial pearl danios
1 flame dwarf gourami
20 red cherry shrimp.
4 otocinclus vestitus

The tank is not cycled yet but when I add these in it will be. I will have an aquatech 10-20 filter on it. Is this too many fish? Aqadvisor says its fine. I am not a selfish and mean person, but I would like as many fish in this tank as I can have. It will be moderate - heavily planted, so that should keep nitrate levels low. This is not my first tank, I have a 20H tank with 7 bloodfin tetras, 6 rummynose tetras, and 1 bolivian ram.

Personally I wouldn't put that many ottos in a 10g. I have 4 in my 55g and I haven't had too many issues yet. I'd do 1-2 or a nerite snail or two instead.

Yeah, the otos were a last second thought. Could I drop the number of CPDs to 6 or 7 and be fine then?

Oh, and the amount of rcs is just a guess. I don't know how many you are supposed to get, so I just put up a number. What is a good number of rcs in a fairly heavily planted tank.

I think those shrimp tend to reproduce, so maybe start with less. Also, if there ends up being a conflict between fish and shrimp, then it would be better to lose 6 shrimp instead of 20.

I think I will not include the otos. I did not realize the were from south america. I always thought of them as asian. Oh, well. I have another thread in the planted section, this is more of a journal of the tank. Here is a list of plants I like:
Ok, I will look into sparkling gouramis. I like the look of them. I am pretty sure I only want medium to low light plants. I have heard a bit about and like:
Java moss
Crypts
Vals
Java Fern
Blyxa Japonica
Temple Plant (hygrophilia corymbosa)
Downoi (pogostemon helferi)
Cyperus helferi

and a few others. Any comments about these species in particular? Anything I should know about the care of them. I really like all of them, and I was wondering if they will do well with:
ph of 7.5 - 8
soft water
0 ammonia and nitrite
<40 nitrate.
Thanks!

I have two of them they are really interesting to watch and havent bothered any other fish

image-3279067413.jpg

They are very hardy in my experience. They are fairly peaceful.

Ok, good, this is what I was worried about. I read about one person who ordered six and had 4 die in the first few weeks. They were all flashing. I was worried about disease, but now I really like them. At first I thought they were cool, then didn't like them, and now I do again. I am indecisive. Well, no I'm not. No, acutally, I am. :D

I have two of them they are really interesting to watch and havent bothered any other fish

View attachment 180844

I heard a lot of people saying this, but it is good to hear from someone I can trust (I trust almost everyone on this website, everyone here is great). Some have said though, that these fish can be assertive at times. Have you ever seen aggression in yours?

And thanks for the pic :thanks:

I have heard of a silent cycle, and I am a bit skeptical. I would feel more comfortable just fishless cycling, then adding plants and fish. Challenge: Convince me to do a silent cycle.

Also, I have no idea what I would like to do for lighting. Like no idea at all. What lights do you all recommend for a 10 gallon? I am shooting for 30 watts.

I am going to clean out the 10 gallon tomorrow. I am working on a plant list now, now I just need to know lighting, substrate, and which way to cycle. I will do more research on silent cycling. Oh, check out my new signature!
:D

Just so you know, I am getting braces tomorrow so I don't think I will do any tank work or be on here if it hurts, I will probably just try to sleep. But maybe it won't hurt. Anyway, after that I am going to the beach on thursday and getting back saturday, so I won't be here for a while. I hope to post the list of plants I will use on saturday or sunday.

The eco complete came in, but the fugeray hasn't. It was backordered, so it won't come in for a while. I ordered the normal eco complete, because the way I want to scape the tank has a section of white sand, I think the sand will contrast better with gravel. I decided to pump diy co2 in, and will try different recipes before putting in fish. I want to see what works best. I am also thinking of not having the sparkling gourami and just the CPDs and the RCS. I could even try to breed the CPDs! I am narrowing down the list of plants I want, and will post it when I get a chance. Will post pics when I start to get more stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom