ASM G2 - I got it today! A few Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxamillion

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, first off... going from a seaclone to an ASM G2.... HOLY CRAP! thats all that comes to mind... the thing is HUGE!!!

OK so heres my question, isnt the rubber hose suppose to come with a needle valve? If so, I didnt see it anywhere! For those of you who have one of these, do you know where the needle valve us (assuming its hidden somewhere).

The thing didnt come with any instructions... so I am kinda pissed about that... but I guess this site, is my manual.

TIA,
Max

Nope... no valve needed. The needle wheel on the pump will work WONDERS. I got the Euro Reef version, but the ASM is similar. Just leave the hose up and all will work.

the needle wheel i assume is the part around where the water flows in, correct? and you can turn this? I guess I'll play around with it for a while in some freshwater.

The needle wheel is actually IN the pump... you can't see it. It's the type of impeller it uses. No maintenance required. It's pretty simple to set up. Just attach the pump to the PVC part sticking out of the skimmer, and attach the hose to the venturi inlet of the pump. Screw on the collection cup to the top, and you're set to go.

You control how high the water flows by moving the Large outlet pipe up or down. If you have it too high, the cup will overflow with wet stuff, rather than a nice THICK dry foam that smells to high hell.

Nothing special, really. It's just to try to break up some of the tiny bubbles before they make it back to the water supply. Your skimmer should be in a place that there's no danger to suck up any debris. :wink: On the Euro Reef, I like how the foam stop the "waterfall" sound of water as it splashes down. The foam helps me out by making the whole thing silent.

ok, I am glad that it muffles out all that sound..... because when I tried it out in freshwater... it just sounded like a waterfall, and with my overflow (which is loud enough as it is) I am sure that I would have to pee constantly... lol

Well I hope my fish/tank likes it!

after about 4 hours of major surgery and a loss of a few gallons of water (to the carpet) I finally have my retrofitted and currently VERY ghetto sump up and running with my brand new ASM G2!

I have a few more updates to make, so its not totally over... but it is over for today, since I was in such a fish tank mood, I also began building my Kalk water drip system, which will utilize a glass apple juice container filled with kalk water. That glass jar will be pressurized using an air pump, and airline tubing will go to the bottom of the jar and as the jar presurizes it will force Kalk water into my tank. the drip will be controlled by a gang type valve (something I am planning on adding later)

well thats all for now :)

Ok, so I have it set up and it has been running for a while, nothing in the collection cup yet... and also Rob, you mentioned yours being silent, mine runs with a loud gurgly sound maybe Its still working itself in.. I'll try to figure it out later, but the sound sounds like a pump running with far too little water..... and the water level was like 7 inches yesterday and about 5.5 inches today... so I dont think thats the problem... any ideas before I dive into this project?

could some one please tell me the depth of water needed for the ASM skimmers and the clearence required to remove the collection cup

thanks
steve r

the clearance is like 1/4 more than the actual hight of the protien skimmer, its really tiny. Honestly the depth I am not totally sure, but it cant go under about 4 inches of water, as the pump would just suck in air then.

i just got an e-mail back from darin at captivereefs.com. he said 6-10 inches of water. the level it sits in should not affect performance as long as it is 6" or more. some customers are running them in 12" of water

steve r

Are you using it in tap water? Because even mine was loud in tap. Put it in saltwater, and the pump won't run 100% as fast because of the salt. Let us know
Sorry didnt see that post before, no its in salt water, it is much quiter than running it in tap water, but you know when you pull a powerhead slightly out of water and it starts to hum really loud. Thats what it sounds like. It also gets louder and softer over and over again. I probably wouldnt mind it if it was steady....

Well throw some suggestions at me, I'll try to figure something out.

TIA,
Max

As long as the output tube is not under water you are OK. Deeper water may produce a slightly wetter foam but nothng that noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom