assassin snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pantherspawn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK so a few days ago I purhased 4 small assassin snails to keep the numbers down on the hundreds of pond snails in my planted tank. Thinking 4 would be enough to keep a population explosion down, but not enough to rid the tank completely... well these must have been the hungriest snails alive. Within four days, I went from literally not being able to find a place without pond snails, to having to search really hard to find one. My question is this, do I need to start buying snails to feed them soon, or is there going to be a hidden supply to keep them going? I wasn't expecting them to rid the tank completely or nearly that fast. I was told four of them would still allow a small breeding colony of pond snails to survive in a ten gallon.. not decimating the colony in a 55 gallon.

Wow, that's encouraging !
I am not keen on snails and have a contiuous battle to remove them every pwc. I don't like the chemical option since it treats the water and I have fish that have to swim in it, and anyway it only knock's the snails out for a while, then I have to collect them up, so not a good option IMO. Also, the chemical does nothing at all to the snail eggs, so back to square-one in no time ! I might just be tempted to get an assassin, but do they then breed and become the new snail problem ??

They do mate, though its impossible to sex them, you generally need a decent group to be able to populate. They take 6 months to reach maturity to even really be seen as they hid in the subtstrate and from what I've read they only reproduce when food supply is ample for a period of time. They won't get out of control if there isn't a huge supply of food for extended periods of time. They are strictly meat eaters so once the nuisance snail population is under control, they don't really breed.

I have heard the will eat fish food as well so I don’t think you will have to supplement with more snails.

Since this thread is not that old I am interested in hearing updates. I too have the problem of too many pond snails in my RCS tank (have since cut back in food) and got 4 assassin snails to "control" the problem. Thing is I have only found 2 shells of the pond snails since introducing them over a month ago. I don't know what of if they are eating, but they aren't really doing the job that I thought.

Not sure exactly how to solve this except for just trying to starve the assassins into eating. Anybody had this experience where they had a slow start and then appetite picked up? Thanks.

@OkiTank takes a while for them to get going....but believe me, they do their job, they have all but wiped out the pond snails I had. Ive also noticed they tend to be on the hunt more at night, mornings you will just see empty shells at the bottom. They are a very good investment IMO.

Also when there are no more pond snails they will start eating any left over food at the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom