Assassin snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got a 55g with a lot of mts and about 3 clutch worth of mystery snails if I get a assassin it won't wipe out my mts population will it

Anybody I want to kill my baby mystery snails but I'm not going to this assassin snail in if it will kill all my mts

Okay, this is easy! Assassin snails kill and eat ALL other snails they can fit into their mouth.

Any questions?

I know that but I'm wonder the speed at what they eat I'm wondering if my mts will be able to multiply fast enough to stay as a habitant in my aquarium or will 1 assassin kill all snails really fast

Assassin snails will eat your MTS and baby mystery snails because it will fit into their mouths. If your MTS aren't breeding now they're probably not going to reproduce fast enough to compete with your assassin snail. The best thing to do is to try to have your assassin snail eliminate all of your mysteries with minimal MTS deaths. No snail is safe with the assassin snails IMO, the name says it all.

I only have one assassin snail in my 55g he kills 1 snail a day that I have noticed but I have both pond and mts and usually the pond snails get caught first since the mts are in the sand during the day.

My assassins spend a lot of time in the sand. I don't really know what they are doing in there because they don't seem to burrow and travel through it like a MTS would, they just go there to hide I guess.

OkiTank said:
My assassins spend a lot of time in the sand. I don't really know what they are doing in there because they don't seem to burrow and travel through it like a MTS would, they just go there to hide I guess.

They hide when hunting

Then do they eat the snails under the sand? I have only seen 2 shells in the past month and I have 4 assassins.

They wait till a snail slugs by then they chase them down and eat them

It's pretty funny. One day I saw my assissin floating around in the water and I was like man he died but next thing you know the hob pushed him on a leaf right next to a pond snail and it didn't stand a chance at running. Not sure if this was all by chance or if I have a really pro assassin on my hands.

They were trained well. I need to get a few of these, but unfortunatley by lfs had crs, which they never have, and amanos, which I wanted for my ladys 5 gal, he seems to enjoy looking through all the plants in there

I have 4 Assassin snail Adults and about 8 babies, the babies when they eventually come out from the gravel....have a mega appetite....saw two MTS that tagged along when I bought new plants, by day two....assassin snail babies had surrounded 1 MTS and made a meal of it in no time. Have put all the assassin babies up for sale, might as well make some €'s off the extras I have :)

Back
Top Bottom