Astrophotography first light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
So I am trying to get into doing some astrophotography... nothing too complicated - just shooting on a fixed tripod. I made the first attempt last night... The below image is the result of 72 total individual exposures:

10 bias frames
12 dark frames
20 flat frames
30 light frames

The light frames were taken using a T3 rebel with a Tamron 17-50mm at 17mm f/2.8 ISO 3200 20s shutter. The rest were taken with the same camera/lens, various settings.

There was a ton of light pollution, especially since it was very cloudy last night. The photos were taken in a field NW of Walworth Wisconsin, but because of the clouds, and the nearly full moon, it was not especially dark. I think the results will be far better when I can get a clear, moonless night.

Not bad for a first attempt though. Lots of noise from the clouds in the area... and a few issues with focus perhaps. Hopefully future attempts will improve results.

Anyway, here is the first attempt.

Last edited:
So I am trying to get into doing some astrophotography... nothing too complicated - just shooting on a fixed tripod. I made the first attempt last night... The below image is the result of 72 total individual exposures:

10 bias frames
12 dark frames
20 flat frames
30 light frames

The light frames were taken using a T3 rebel with a Tamron 17-50mm at 17mm f/2.8 ISO 3200 20s shutter. The rest were taken with the same camera/lens, various settings.

There was a ton of light pollution, especially since it was very cloudy last night. The photos were taken in a field NW of Walworth Wisconsin, but because of the clouds, and the nearly full moon, it was not especially dark. I think the results will be far better when I can get a clear, moonless night.

Not bad for a first attempt though. Lots of noise from the clouds in the area... and a few issues with focus perhaps. Hopefully future attempts will improve results.

Anyway, here is the first attempt.

http://s1337.photobucket.com/user/jfortinberry/media/Astrophotography/042613p3_zps0c1a6a4d.jpg.html

Woah. That's all I can say.

Back
Top Bottom