ATO or Fuge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulydaturk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of cycling and have the following options: add an under tank fuge only, add an ATO under tank and HOB Fuge (DIY from Aquaclear 110),or add just the HOB fuge and not do the ATO.

So here's the question: If you were setting up a new 90gal FOWLR system, Which option would you pick?

That's a pretty open ended question. If you have the room and equipment, I have personally had better success with an ATO than my fuge. They were both on a DIY level, but my outcomes lead to me actually purchasing an ATO when I upgraded to my current tank. When the ballast on the lights died, covered in cyano over night after what was growing on it died off and returned the nutrients into the water column.

With that said, if you have the room to add a sump area under your tank I'd suggest it. More water means less problems if there is a problem. Gives room to hide equipment, so on. I'd also suggest a CPR overflow if you have to HOB the overflow as you can attach an aqualifter pump to it to suck out any possible issues with air getting stuck in the trap.

Back
Top Bottom