ATS (algal turf scrubber) project smaller tanks 75 and 29gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use an extra sump holding about 200g. The water flows through the ATS and then into the sump.

what I was getting at is.. a sump is nessisary for the scrubber? and if so the capacity it would need to be would calculated based on the needed flow minius the water capasity of the scrubber?

No I don't think a sump is neccesary. It could be done without one, I just think for a convenience factor having heaters and pumps in the sump is a better way to go. I would not be too concerned with sump volumes, only make it big enough to fit pumps ect in there. Maybe I don't understand your question?

I made a typo people, I said in one of my previous posts that you need 40g per sq/m of ATS, when I meant to say 40L per sq/m. Sorry if that made anyone confused.

I was just wondering if the scrubber could hold enough water to keep up with the pump(s), at the recomended flow. Sumps do have advantages, I was just wondering if they were needed for water capasity, thats all.

Im wondering what method you used to attach the screen to the pvc..

I used thick fishing line to attach the screen to the PVC, I will try get some more pics of the screen. As with the sumps when you say water capacity what do you mean by that?

ashdavid said:
I made a typo people, I said in one of my previous posts that you need 40g per sq/m of ATS, when I meant to say 40L per sq/m. Sorry if that made anyone confused.

I will go back and adjust my numbers then..

ashdavid,

How loud is ATS? Could you be in the same room as the ATS and listen to music? Any tips for low noise for tank sizes mentioned here, while keeping dump bucket/splashing? Sorry if I missed where you said it earlier. Thanks.

They can be loud, but in my case it is pretty big. On a smaller scale I think it could be ok , but still a little louder than your average filter. Splashing is an issue ,especially if you are using MH lamps that are close to the scrubber, but there are ways you can stop that that, any DIY minded person should be able to overcome that.

Fair enough. I couldn't work this curiosity out in my mind and ended up messing with a bucket and the tub -- flowing it over a dampened side helps some but really limits effectiveness since you want the waves, so maybe an oversized dump bucket to keep high flow? I would think dampening all sides will help a little but not much. Quiet will be a good challenge for someone leaving ATS in a living space, not dedicated room, I'm guessing. JProx and Green -- I'm interested in what you guys come up with, though I doubt I'm building one.

Anyway, just a thought. Cool pics, ashdavid.

I personally was thinking it would minimize the noise if I could get the dumpbucket to empty as close to the screen as possible and still create a wave pattern(the pump removing water would help make the wave in my visualization of the final product).. That and Im planning on a more enclosed design.. ODNO, CF or T5 lighting (or a combination of two of these)

btw... I went down to the local library and got the Dynamic Aquaria, Building ecosystems book on order from some of the universitys around here (The university of kentucky, louisville university, Center Collage all had it).. I should have it here in a few weeks..

If you could make it enclosed that would be great, just keep a fan or something circulating the air so it dose not get too hot under the hood.
Good job on the books that should get you started.

I was thinking of using fans on the light fixture part of the scrubber.. Im not sure about a completely enclosed design, maybe a bulkhead to let the water in as well as out :idea:

Assuming proper ventilation, I think a thick, deadened box could be real quiet and pass the spouse factor. Maybe sand between layers to absorb vibration and sound would make it a "silent" ATS?

well i would drop the sand, and use styrofoam myself, its lighter and should absorb much more sound than sand, i would tend to think.

i am actually thinking of building a enclosed unit, going with the rotating drum design. heat build up will be an issue, if you go with MH's but i am thinking PC lights should minimize the issue, also funneling the water into a sump should help too.

i ordered the book from amazon on monday, should have shipped today, and i should have it early next week (i wish 3rd party amazon sellers were more verbile though) i am hoping to draw up some designs mid next week, and start construction, right now i am trying to decide on building a plywood box to contain the ATS or a glass tank, or a rubbermade container. but will continue to the monitor the thread, and update stuff on my end. having the book in hand will really help at this point. thanks ash for your help, and i will bug you some more if i need help, as i have some lingering questions i am hoping it can answer.

I hate to be the one to tell you this but there is nothing in the book on how to build an ATS, no specs nothing, but the good news is that it has lots of info on already running ATS, so you can copy those ones. Or if you get stuck and you don't mind waiting a week for pics you could PM me for more detailed pics. Again before you start your filter read the book from back to front, I have read it about 6 times now and I still have trouble understanding some of the info, granted it is very scientific with a lot of jargon. Also just to add , my personal opinion is that the drum type will be nowhere near as efficient as Dr Adeys design, he has done so much research on it. Bug me please ,I can't get enough of this type of disscussion, no one I have talked to up until now is as interested in ATS's like I am , it is good to have some people to talk to about it. BTW heat build up is an issue with any ATS design. I use 2*3hp chillers to keep the water cool, ATS are not cheap! :lol:

i have understood the book will not contain info describing construction since the beginning, i was getting it just to make sure i follow the guidelines and to answer some questions i have, and to cure some confusion on the subject. i am going to be using an ATS on 2 tanks, one 55gal freshwater tank i have had up and running for 2yrs, to replace some of the filtration already present, and hopefully solve some water quality issues. the other tank is probably going to either be a 30gal or a 150gal tank reef tank. for the 2nd tank, i will most likely follow the dr adey's tray design.

the rotating drum design, in my mind deserves a chance, it might be 100% as efficient as the tray design, but it should generate respectable results and should be a good way to reduce the size requirements (compacting as much surface area into the smallest possible space) and possibly reduce the lighting requirements some (having to light only a small portion at a time, is the conclusion i have drawn).

the only downsides i see at the moment, are building a strong dependable drum ( i am thinking 6" pvc if i can find it, or maybe 2drums @ 4" in diameter) its going to be taking a lot of abuse everyday and a suitable container to house the unit. for lighting i am thinking a 65w cv unit from homedepot should do the trick, but thats probably going to change after i thumb through the book. and the rotating drum is probably going to require a lot of fine tuning after completion. but this is all subject to change after i learn ins and outs from the book.

well when news of the ATS reached me in 95-96 i was excited about this filter, but after finding the asking price of a commercial unit, the excitement faltered, till green started the discussion lately, so i am as much interested in the setup as you are ash, and have enjoyed participating in this thread so far. did you post a pic of your screens ? i have looked in the previous posts but didn't see any, and i wonder if missed them.

thanks again ash for your continual support.

Bryan

ashdavid... As for me.. You did warn me at a earlier time, possibly in this thread, that the book didnt have any designs layed out. And I personally dont think I will have much trouble understanding the reading material (I was tested a few years back and had a 16+ grade level reading ability) I should understand the book the first time I read it, I have read some really heady jargon filled books in the past with little trouble (The Origin of Conscussness During the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, comes to mind. LOL) I just hope it has all or more of the information that I will want contained in it..

The reason I am suggesting you read it several times or to go back and read sections of the book several times( which is what I meant to say) is b/c there are little subtle references to things that Dr Adey has worded in a way so that they are not picked up until you get to the back of the book. As for understanding the text, I work in the medical profession and I don't think that I am lacking the necessary skills to comprehend what is written, But I will say there is a lot of jargon which either scientists or someone who has studied in the area that he talks about in his book will not completely understand. I suppose the point I am trying to make is that a lot of the book is irrelevant to aquariums and keeping aquariums and to take the time read it thoroughly( For example he talks about the average temperature of the universe in one section, this is just one example amoung many others of the things that I am taliking about). Btw I am in no way implying that none of you could could not comprehend the information in the book , I get the feeling that I may have implied that, if I did I am sorry.

Back
Top Bottom