auto-fertilization in apple/mystery snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomherndon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got about 50 eggs deposited in a couple of locations on the tank, including the vents on the intake for the powerfilter. The bulk of them are in one location about 8cm below the water line on the front of the tank. Literature I looked at earlier indicated that the apple snails tend to lay their eggs above the water line in a moist spot?

Teh catch is: there's a single golden apple snail in the tank with NO love interests in the tank. My wife wondered if they might act like chickens and just lay eggs anyways???

the eggs are most of 1 mm in diameter and white. There's no notable sludge around them like I noticed with the pond snails in another tank.

Other tank fauna:
4 zebra danios
3 oto cats
1 lone green cory

Apple snails always lay their egg clutches ABOVE the water line. Also, they're usually pinkish - personally, I think they look like a small pink raspberry.

I wonder if the eggs may belong to the corys? Click for some good pics of cory eggs - about halfway down the page.

They do resemble the Cory eggs on the breeding page you recommended. so it's likely that these eggs are NOT viable then since there would have been no male Cory to milt them??

In answer to your original question, yes apple snails lay their eggs even if unfertilized. Mine does it all the time. But the eggs are in clumps and 90% of the time above the water line (some apple snails aren't very good at laying eggs and have been known to screw it up)

Cory eggs and apple snail eggs look nothing alike so if they resemble cory eggs then thats what they are.

Apple Snail eggs

Back
Top Bottom