Automatic Feeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickeybags

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
Come Christmas time I'm going to have to move out of my dorm room for a few weeks. I should be back in 2 weeks I won't know until it comes time to move out. If I'm coming back in two weeks I would rather not take the 2 and half hour drive home with my fish and 10 gallon tank. I was thinking of buying an automatic feeder.

I was thinking of setting it feed once a day or every other day to slow the cycle down. )I feed 2x a day). Will my fish be alright with a water change for 2 weeks? Also, should I ad anything such as ammonia or nitrate remover to my filter? It's an aquaclear 30.

I have 4 dwarf gouramis and 2 emerald cats. I know what everybody is going to say about my stocking I've heard it a million times. I'm just looking for advice on feeding and water changes. If my plan absolutely will not work I will take the fish home or find someone local. Thanks in advance for the help!

Dorm room fish keeper

General consensus on auto feeders is.... They're junk and fail more often than actually work. Since you've already gotten feedback on your tank stock, IMO it's a no brainer that two weeks of no water changes with that high of a bioload is at minimum an unnecessary amount of stress on them if not a death sentence.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

It takes a reeeeeeeally long time for a fish to starve to death, so feeding the fish while you're gone is unnecessary.

As long as the tank is cycled, 2 weeks without a water change will not be a death sentence. Sorry but the idea that a skipped weekly water change will kill the fish is just really far fetched, and in my experience not accurate. I've left my tanks for two weeks many times, and in the summer they go for much longer than that without a water change.

It takes a reeeeeeeally long time for a fish to starve to death, so feeding the fish while you're gone is unnecessary.

As long as the tank is cycled, 2 weeks without a water change will not be a death sentence. Sorry but the idea that a skipped weekly water change will kill the fish is just really far fetched, and in my experience not accurate. I've left my tanks for two weeks many times, and in the summer they go for much longer than that without a water change.

My apologies, I could've elaborated more but it was well past bedtime after a 20 hour day. I was taking into consideration (without expressing) this is in a college dorm where the custodial staff will more than likely do a heavy cleaning cleaning to include who knows what will be used to sanitize and disinfect. I could only presume that the staff will not stop to take into consideration what belongs to who as they see it as a job to do and will want to be done in record time so that they too can be home with their families during the holidays. Then there's always the chance someone is having a bad day and malicious intent arises. That was the scenario I was trying to convey but failed to, (thanks to that grand workday, lol)

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

I think that's why dorms usually limit the size of the tank - to encourage you to take it with you :)

Honestly, a 10 gallon tank is really easy to move, so that option should be on the table.

in my opinion and experience, two weeks of no water change should be fine. just perform a large water change before you leave. also, feed the fish once a day through an automatic feeder is also fine. just make sure you don't feed too much to the point where the excess food fouls the water.

The staff won't enter the room. I know I'm over stocked but as far as the bio load goes, I feel I have more than enough filtration.

Dorm room fish keeper

I should also mention the reason I will only be away for two weeks is because I work for the school with facilities so I can make sure that even if someone is in my room, there cautious around the tank.

Also I want to get the feeder now so I can get it working the way I want it to. Any suggestions on which brand or model to purchase?

Dorm room fish keeper

Back
Top Bottom