Automatic food dispensers verus those white chalky block things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miniflea84

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I'm going to be away for ten days and I'm wondering if anyone here has any advice for me. I assume the block things are way cheaper than an automatic timed dispenser thing, but I'm concerned that my fish would just pick at constantly and eat themselves to death. The tank I'm worried about is a ten gallon, with seven zebra danios, a dwarf gourami, and a few ghost shrimp.

I could ask my roommate to feed them, but frankly I don't trust the guy to not overfeed even with explicit instructions.

The chalky blocks are garbage, don't even consider them.

An automatic feeder would be great, but they can be expensive.

I would go to your local pharmacy and get one of those pill planners (one compartment for each day) and have your roommate do the feeding. Dose out the food for each day, and then hide the rest so that your roommate won't be tempted to overfeed.

I was at wal-mart today and an automatic feeder is like 12$. I also saw something new (I think). Its basically a pad of flakes. I'm assuming the binding slowly dissolves to release the flakes into the water, and its "plaster free" (whatever that means). Your fish don't really need to be fed every day unless you have fry, and I agree with the preportioned food. (you could use little plastic baggies if you want)

IMO I would have your roommate feed your tank one time at the 5 day mark, with 1 premeasured feeding. If you where to be gone 5 to 7 days I think you would be ok.

I told my roommate to give them about half of what I normally feed, every other day. If he listens, they'll be a bit hungry when I get back but they'll still be ok. I would rather use the automatic feeder, but I've been madly dashing about trying to get ready for this trip and finish up a hundred little last minute things and I literally haven't had the time. Plane leaves in a couple hours.

So, hoping for the best.

Back
Top Bottom