Autumnsky's Conversations in water keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. I'm pretty tired. I have been the table guard/seller at tshirts and book sales. Mostly with another lady and a couple helpers. Nice turnout but I thought there would be more vendors. Seems less than 20, maybe 15ish. But the events are cool I need to help with a auction sales today. However long that goes and hoping we get track on the large misdirected plant shipment.

AGA - Aquatic Gardeners Association Convention 2017

Very Tired. Been on the go for almost 16 hours!

Started helping with the t-shirts and selling drawing tickets for about the first 3 hours. Then after the prices started calming down, yes I realize it is a donation/charity event, but gotta make the dollars stretch, decided I wanted a few things and some bargains.

I will try to get my list up of what I got as a reminder for me later if I need the names and information.

TC tissue cultured E - emmersed, S - submerged U- unkown for sure

Bolbitis Difformis - TC cup Baby fern been looking for this plant forever - killed the last one unk. why. 10 from Aqvainnova

Echinodorus Osiris Golden E vendor donation 13 stem leaves 12-14" $6.

D rocks, filter wool bag 3.00 Tag Sale
Flourish Potasium 2 Driftwood 18.75 Tag Sale
Anubias coffeefolia pot 7.00 Live Auction
Aponogeton ulvaceus U 4.00 Live Auction

7 Crypt balansae U leaves 12" 5.00 Live Auction
HC pot E 7.00 Live Auction
4 or 5 plants Echinodorus bleheri E 6" 10-12 leaves 6. Live Auction
3 Nymphaea lotus Red 14.00 Live Auction
2 pack Staurogyne repens TC Florida Aquatic Nurseries tent bag 4.00 Live Auction
Someone traded me a my Stauro for a TC Cup Echinodourus tenellus Pygmy Chain Sword from Aqvainnova

Someone gave me a Glossostigma TC Tropica they said they would never use. Came in a multi pack they got. FREE!

Now for the Wabi Kusa Balls I got a bunch of stuff I wasn't even sure what all there was. I tried to get a good variety which I did. Got some pics and saw some of the plants and took pics of the names.

Will post those later when I get most the name figured out.

Plan to us the 2 pieces of wood in one or 2 planted vase type tanks but need to find the containers yet.

Tomorrow I need to look in my storage or go buy a clearish tote to grow the extra plants in. Need to read up on a few of these.

I was bummed out to miss getting Proserpinaca pectinata and Proserpinaca palustris from the donation from Florida Aquatic Nurseries. But I might have got his stem in my Wabi-Kusa stems.

Also on the Ranunculus inundatus.

Here is a pic - Rachel O'leary on the right
60074-albums13946-picture71142.jpg

Last edited:
LOL, it is the short version, if you join the AGA you can get the whole back catalog of talks for the price and this is like a basically free school for aquarium gardeners.

I thought my registration fee included my membership but because our CAS local club sponsoring and getting a discount, it did not include it. So I need to send them a membership payment. Also as a side note the refunded my registration fee because of my volunteering /helping so much all the days. Very kind of them to notice and do that!

I feel so fortunate I was able to see so many talented, skilled and knowledgeable people in 2 days! And be at the auction on the last day.

~~~~~~

Next topic.

There are several Tissue Culture plants I have and they have been sitting under the lamp with a K rating which should grow low to med. plants. It is in a floor lamp and a bit far from the plants themselves. Being that most of them are in the plastic cups they weren't seeming to be getting the amount of light they were used to from the wholesale/grower companies.

I Have one Dwarf Chain Sword /Echinodorus tenellus, which was growing long and folding over at the top pretty much shading half of the plant.

And the Glossostigma Elatinoides which I will probably kill anyways.

But I took a Trenta Starbucks cup (30 oz clear and strong plastic cup) and made the cup a bigger "terrarium". Added the lid back on top with the slight indentation where the straw went in.

Added a couple hands of the Amazonia Light Substrate. Set the plant from the cup on top. Then I thought I might just need to add a mesh, but the roots are fine so I used some large tulle netting I had from previous DIY tank projects.

Just cut a wide oblong so there would be edges for me to grab it out of the cup with added a handful of the substrate on that and then the plant and another handful sprinkled over that. I need to add some around the edges too.

Thinking that the plant will growinto the substrate and be held together in the root sone with the net which is off white. I would purchase substrate matching color if I planned it out next time. But this way it can be buried and not seen yet still help hold the plants in place.

It seems that holding these in place are an issue in some substrates.

Interestingly the 2 pots of these one from Tropica the Glosso, and the other from /slipped my mind atm did not have the gel in the bottom.

The other one, also from the second company is the Baby Leaf Bolbitis Difformis. Has a disc of gell it is growing in.

The tent like container is from Florida Aquatic Nursery and the Staurogyne Repens has gel.

If it actually grows I will be pretty pleased, if not I just wasted a few bucks :(

Will get a couple pics if I can in the next couple days. The big concern might be bacteria
or fungi growth now that they are not in a ~ sterile environment, but still in a moist previously used cup. although if there is an issue, I could us a never used cup and gloves. Substrate is still a factor /not sterile.

I still have 2 packages of the DHG and might try one in a plastic shoe box with the tulle if it seems to go well. Lay down a layer of 1/2 inch to 1 inch squares for the DHG to grow and root into so it is easier to place into the subtrate and stay put!!!

Very Tired. Been on the go for almost 16 hours!

Started helping with the t-shirts and selling drawing tickets for about the first 3 hours. Then after the prices started calming down, yes I realize it is a donation/charity event, but gotta make the dollars stretch, decided I wanted a few things and some bargains.

I will try to get my list up of what I got as a reminder for me later if I need the names and information.

TC tissue cultured E - emmersed, S - submerged U- unkown for sure

Bolbitis Difformis - TC cup Baby fern been looking for this plant forever - killed the last one unk. why. 10 from Aqvainnova

Echinodorus Osiris Golden E vendor donation 13 stem leaves 12-14" $6.

D rocks, filter wool bag 3.00 Tag Sale
Flourish Potasium 2 Driftwood 18.75 Tag Sale
Anubias coffeefolia pot 7.00 Live Auction
Aponogeton ulvaceus U 4.00 Live Auction

7 Crypt balansae U leaves 12" 5.00 Live Auction
HC pot E 7.00 Live Auction
4 or 5 plants Echinodorus bleheri E 6" 10-12 leaves 6. Live Auction
3 Nymphaea lotus Red 14.00 Live Auction
2 pack Staurogyne repens TC Florida Aquatic Nurseries tent bag 4.00 Live Auction
Someone traded me a my Stauro for a TC Cup Echinodourus tenellus Pygmy Chain Sword from Aqvainnova

Someone gave me a Glossostigma TC Tropica they said they would never use. Came in a multi pack they got. FREE!

Now for the Wabi Kusa Balls I got a bunch of stuff I wasn't even sure what all there was. I tried to get a good variety which I did. Got some pics and saw some of the plants and took pics of the names.

Will post those later when I get most the name figured out.

Plan to us the 2 pieces of wood in one or 2 planted vase type tanks but need to find the containers yet.

Tomorrow I need to look in my storage or go buy a clearish tote to grow the extra plants in. Need to read up on a few of these.

I was bummed out to miss getting Proserpinaca pectinata and Proserpinaca palustris from the donation from Florida Aquatic Nurseries. But I might have got his stem in my Wabi-Kusa stems.

Also on the Ranunculus inundatus.

Here is a pic - Rachel O'leary on the right
60074-albums13946-picture71142.jpg

Glad you had a amazing time at the show Autumn. Nice picture with Rachel O'leary. I watch her YouTube channel also. She is very knowledgeable an keeps some interesting fish.

LOL, it is the short version, if you join the AGA you can get the whole back catalog of talks for the price and this is like a basically free school for aquarium gardeners.

I thought my registration fee included my membership but because our CAS local club sponsoring and getting a discount, it did not include it. So I need to send them a membership payment. Also as a side note the refunded my registration fee because of my volunteering /helping so much all the days. Very kind of them to notice and do that!

I feel so fortunate I was able to see so many talented, skilled and knowledgeable people in 2 days! And be at the auction on the last day.

~~~~~~

Next topic.

There are several Tissue Culture plants I have and they have been sitting under the lamp with a K rating which should grow low to med. plants. It is in a floor lamp and a bit far from the plants themselves. Being that most of them are in the plastic cups they weren't seeming to be getting the amount of light they were used to from the wholesale/grower companies.

I Have one Dwarf Chain Sword /Echinodorus tenellus, which was growing long and folding over at the top pretty much shading half of the plant.

And the Glossostigma Elatinoides which I will probably kill anyways.

But I took a Trenta Starbucks cup (30 oz clear and strong plastic cup) and made the cup a bigger "terrarium". Added the lid back on top with the slight indentation where the straw went in.

Added a couple hands of the Amazonia Light Substrate. Set the plant from the cup on top. Then I thought I might just need to add a mesh, but the roots are fine so I used some large tulle netting I had from previous DIY tank projects.

Just cut a wide oblong so there would be edges for me to grab it out of the cup with added a handful of the substrate on that and then the plant and another handful sprinkled over that. I need to add some around the edges too.

Thinking that the plant will growinto the substrate and be held together in the root sone with the net which is off white. I would purchase substrate matching color if I planned it out next time. But this way it can be buried and not seen yet still help hold the plants in place.

It seems that holding these in place are an issue in some substrates.

Interestingly the 2 pots of these one from Tropica the Glosso, and the other from /slipped my mind atm did not have the gel in the bottom.

The other one, also from the second company is the Baby Leaf Bolbitis Difformis. Has a disc of gell it is growing in.

The tent like container is from Florida Aquatic Nursery and the Staurogyne Repens has gel.

If it actually grows I will be pretty pleased, if not I just wasted a few bucks :(

Will get a couple pics if I can in the next couple days. The big concern might be bacteria
or fungi growth now that they are not in a ~ sterile environment, but still in a moist previously used cup. although if there is an issue, I could us a never used cup and gloves. Substrate is still a factor /not sterile.

I still have 2 packages of the DHG and might try one in a plastic shoe box with the tulle if it seems to go well. Lay down a layer of 1/2 inch to 1 inch squares for the DHG to grow and root into so it is easier to place into the subtrate and stay put!!!

I like buying the tissue cups. Ive had the same issues with them as you though. The ones that I had trouble planting Im just going let them float in the aquarium until they get strong enough to plant. I thought about putting them in a hang on breeder box just to contain them. I might do that today. Good luck with getting yours to root.

As an aside, one of the better uses for the inexpensive hang on the side net type breeder boxes is holding little plants in a tank. I used that for a variety of plants I don't want to get sucked up into the intake.

One of the great results was with Riccia fluitans /crystalwort, floating bladderwort which I could never get to grow on several previous attempts over the years.

I added a clump of it to the net basket and the thing sat near the top of the water line, depending upon evap sometimes more sometimes less. It startes to attach to the edges of the netting where it folds over the plastic structure.

After noting that I tried not to bump it too much. It is located on the side where the AC 110 filter is to provide better circulation inside if there would happen to be a stray baby.
Over time it formed a really nice chunk/mat. Actually on the outside of the basket where it grew over the top (liked the better flow???) 3x3.5 maybe, but in doing a large water change it got bumped and fell off the edge of the basket so I saved the little pad and put it at the end of the Spec V layed on top of som Java Fern leaves and it stayed on top floating with the Ferns help in the lower.

Happy to report it is still nice and green. Right after the move is didn't seem to do any growing, but looks to be growing now (~amonth later).

Finally got a day off today.

Pwc all around. Petsmart sent me a coupon for 10 off a 30 purchase /ends today and was thinking of getting something. Online or in store. Love a deal.

The lone Discus looks to be doing well enough that finally after all this time she just the last two days she stays at the front when I come up to the tank. I even fed and she stayed last night. A timid creature.

If anyone sees the $1 tetra sale at the big box stores let me know. I plant to try another large amount of them if I can get them looking good.

I will try to make an offer for the tank raised Cardinals at the lfs. But at 3. each a school of 20 would be a hard amount of money to let go vs. getting 20-30 for a buck for the Neons.

As I don't plan to breed them I am hoping to get a few more for the tank which are medium sized and don't have to have hot tub temp water (hotter water for babies and spawning - 84-86F+). We are at ~82F and the Neons I have seem good. It is the upper end of their happy temp. The live aquaria info says less, but the Discus keepers say no problem at that temp. And the couple keepers I have recently talked to said that it is no problem - there the disclaimer is done. Also have added two additional air stones to make sure there is a good amount of O2. I will go wth the experienced keepers' advice.

Maybe will get a couple pics to add today.

Last edited:
AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I will never be able to get anything done!!! My projects and ideas are looking like stacked cord wood. There are so many fun things I want to do and so tiny amount of time to do any :(.

Oh well. Just had to get that out. Not exactly oh well, but don't see any other answer right now. If I cloned myself it would still be years before I could get to any of this, hahahahahaha. :/

Oh what I was really going to say was I started to price out some low iron glass and got a huge choking laugh out of it. One piece if I ordered online - that probably wasn't even shipping, I bet, was a 12" x 30" 5/8" for $122. or the 1/4" which I wouldn't do for that long of a tank 89. I was half thinking of this additional crazy idea.

I won't be thinking of that one now though! Just saved some time in 6 months from now since I won't be doing that. :rolleyes:

Autumnsky's Conversations in water keeping incl/ the mysterious corner in the yard

Wow - that sounds expensive!

Not much here, pondering if I should get a snail for a small tank to help with algae. [emoji848] Last of the big spenders here [emoji16] Snails are actually rarely sold in shops though, usually I buy some plants with snail tourists and keep the snails (er, as you do).

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I will never be able to get anything done!!! My projects and ideas are looking like stacked cord wood. There are so many fun things I want to do and so tiny amount of time to do any :(.

Oh well. Just had to get that out. Not exactly oh well, but don't see any other answer right now. If I cloned myself it would still be years before I could get to any of this, hahahahahaha. :/

I love this post! I'm right there with ya. I have stopped going to fish stores. I buy on line. I have also stopped going to art/craft stores. I have accumulated more project in my house than I can complete in my lifetime even if I was retired.

Delapool, good luck with the "illegal" snail / plant acquisition lol!!! Wish I could send a few your way.

I love this post! I'm right there with ya. I have stopped going to fish stores. I buy on line. I have also stopped going to art/craft stores. I have accumulated more project in my house than I can complete in my lifetime even if I was retired.

Boy oh boy do I know the problem. I have stopped getting other stuff from the hobby stores.

Was supposed to go buy some fish from a CAS member who is moving out of state but I really can't take the time out to go over 1 hour or more, depending on traffic, each way. So skipped it so far for 6 weeks already.

Friday was the CAS meeting and I just skipped it, was busy pretty much with other stuff and I don't need anything. Missed a few friends but there is next month.

So I agree. Last year I wanted to make a few pairs of earrings and a couple other items and ended up buying a few things to make- practiced a little and made a wire cat shaped book mark but never made the earrings, lol! My friend said she'd show me how she learned but I haven't even been able to pick a day/evening for that~

Lately I have been doing only the most urgent types of things with a smattering of other misc stuff needed mostly for daily operations. I come here for a few minutes of time "away" from the daily madness. :lol:

**************** :confused: ******************

Right now as with other times, it is most confusing which tanks to continue to keep and which I could possibly stop keeping.

Next post.

A little longer break time I guess. Thinking it through.

SW nano is 2 tanks and that is annoying but easy, move everything over in the course of a couple months.

Really want to keep

SW nano

PRL shrimp breeding display tank - Maybe in an Iwugami inspired style. Waiting for stock.\

Tangerine Tigers but there are just a small number

Cool water for now - the 46G looking for upgrade

Betta maybe long term - maybe go to my friend who recently lost hers.

72G Warmer tank - Not sure still about what to do for the lone Discus.

???

I will see if my friend wants the Betta.

That is still 5 tanks.

But I am thinking of a few more ideas.

~~~~~~~

Maybe go through and focus on one tank every ~7-14 days and get things back in order.

Lotsa maybes here.

Didn't really solve too much but in a couple weeks there is another CAS meeting and can find homes for anything which doesn't fit into the plans. Maybe, lol! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom