Baby BN Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have obviously never done it before - can look in to it for you and see .... will keep you posted :) I just want them to get good homes, don't really care about the money.

So I guess they will have to have some size on them to stay out of the convict's mouths ... probably a couple of months.....when it gets closer to the right size I will let you know and if you are still interested, all I ask is that you cover shipping.....more soon!

Great - hopefully these little suckers (no pun intended) will grow fast - hopefully I don't mess it up - someone here suggested I wait until they are about 1 inch before moving from the 40 to the grow out tank.....wonder how long that takes??!!??

Clare said:
Great - hopefully these little suckers (no pun intended) will grow fast - hopefully I don't mess it up - someone here suggested I wait until they are about 1 inch before moving from the 40 to the grow out tank.....wonder how long that takes??!!??

Hehe little suckers :) I have no idea how long it will take I would imagine 3 weeks or so but I could be wrong.

I am signing off for the nite - here's to little suckers LOL Will be in touch, Herotilapia Multispinosa ....

Takes a couple months to grow to around 1", even when they're eating a relatively high-protein diet like NLS Grow pellets. In the meantime you can probably expect at least one more brood. Once they start spawning they tend to keep going for some time, some more regularly than others IME. Cichlids half the size of those 5" convicts will happily pick off new BN fry. With so many pairs of them spawning in multiple tanks I don't even bother moving brown or albino fry, and toss the brown fry from the tank w/out any predators into other tanks to control their numbers.

Thanks, Toddnbecka - I appreciate the information - I have an angel fish and some red rainbows in my 115G who might enjoy the extra fry if they keep spawning - the 40 is getting crowded.....wow,not what I expected - guess I am doing something right after all!

Angels will happily pick off any sort of fry IME, or any fish small enough to fit into their surprisingly large mouths.

toddnbecka said:
Takes a couple months to grow to around 1", even when they're eating a relatively high-protein diet like NLS Grow pellets. In the meantime you can probably expect at least one more brood. Once they start spawning they tend to keep going for some time, some more regularly than others IME. Cichlids half the size of those 5" convicts will happily pick off new BN fry. With so many pairs of them spawning in multiple tanks I don't even bother moving brown or albino fry, and toss the brown fry from the tank w/out any predators into other tanks to control their numbers.

I have 5 one inch convict cichlids lol

O dangit your in California I would be interested in one but I'm in Florida lol I'll drive over real quick and pick them up hahaha just kidding

They are about 1 inch right now - have no idea how to ship them and will probably do a trade at my LFS.....

Clare said:
They are about 1 inch right now - have no idea how to ship them and will probably do a trade at my LFS.....

Woah how many do you have total?

Thanks!
It is the pair's first spawn - I have had them since they were less than 2" - they are getting ready to spawn again LOL Have no idea what I will do if the spawn is bigger next time - I only have a 10G grow out tank; my other tanks are using up all the power in the "fish room" (my home office) - I have a 115G, a 40G and the two 10Gs.

That would be too sad LOL but my angel fish and roseline sharks would appreciate them!

Back
Top Bottom