Baby Platy Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

latashalaine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I have only had my 10 gallon tank with 2 platys for about a week and a half. I have 1 male and 1 female currently and they have already had babies. They ate all of the fry except one which I would like to keep if possible. I have caught it and it is in a bowl outside of the tank. Is it possible to raise it in a bowl until it gets big enough to turn lose in the tank? I can change its water daily, I just need to know if it can be done. If not, what cheap solutions would you suggest?

I don't think a bowl is sufficient; it would need a heater at least. Can you get a breeding net for it? Most fish stores have them, like this. It'll hang on the inside of the tank which lets the fish have the same water and temp, etc in the tank but separates it from the other fish. Baby fish (called fry) need to eat more often than adults too. Try crushing up some flakes until it's powder and feed a very small amount to the baby a few times a day. There's also a food called First Bites specifically for baby fish.

Try putting the fry in a plastic cup filled with water floating in the tank. That should let the water temperature be stable. Although I would refill the plastic container with water from the tank just so ammonia doesn't build up

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom