Baby sea snail found in cycling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph101

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found a baby snail in my currently cycling aquarium. He must of come off a plant i brought. I want to keep him as he is very cute but im in the middle of cycling my fish tank. What should i do in the mean time? Will the ammonia kill him?

I found a baby snail in my currently cycling aquarium. He must of come off a plant i brought. I want to keep him as he is very cute but im in the middle of cycling my fish tank. What should i do in the mean time? Will the ammonia kill him?

I had a snail find it's way into my three gallon that is currently cycling. He's been in there for a week or so now. Seems to be doing fine. But it's a pond snail and they can live in almost anything. I guess it would depend on the type of snail it is.

If you got live plants then it is most likely a pond snail. They are not sea snails. They are also called pest snails. Thats because they will reproduce like crazy and overtake a tank. You could easily have 100s in a couple months. Bad thing too is that they dont need to mate, so even if you only have 1 it will make more. You kill it right away, and any other you see. Unless you have a good sized tank and you are interested in housing loaches, they will eat all those snails for lunch.

I have two snails in my tank as it is on its 3rd week of cycling and they are completely fine. If you want to keep it then keep it! If it does multiply to where it is out of hand, give them to the pet store or buy an assassin snail.

If you got live plants then it is most likely a pond snail. They are not sea snails. They are also called pest snails. Thats because they will reproduce like crazy and overtake a tank. You could easily have 100s in a couple months. Bad thing too is that they dont need to mate, so even if you only have 1 it will make more. You kill it right away, and any other you see. Unless you have a good sized tank and you are interested in housing loaches, they will eat all those snails for lunch.

I see what you mean. Ive found about 15 little buggers in my decor, on the glass. THEY ARE EATING MY BEAUTIFUL PLANTS!! How do I rid of them? Is there something I can add to the water? Its hard to get them one by one..

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom