back again.....but bigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuG

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, after many months away from these forums, I'm back.
Some time several months ago a friend offered me a free tank, and I said "sure, I'd love it". Well, finally we managed to find the time to get it. So I am now the new owner of 55g which my poor wife can alrady tell will not really be free!:brows:

55g.jpg

Here's the new, totally free aquisition

water_marks.jpg

Needs some work for that water residue. I guess vinegar is the best thing to do this right?

equipment.jpg

It looks like everything is there that I need, although I ahven't figured out what size that Penguin filter is yet. I guess the model number will be on it somewhere?

dw.jpg

I'm excited about this piece of driftwood though. It's heavy too.

It's definitely going to take a bit of work to get this thing cleaned up and ready, but I certainly think it will be worth it.
I'm probably going to take the gravel out and replace it with black sand. I also want to have live plants in there rather than the plastic ones.
As for stocking.................yeah, we'll work on that once it's cleaned and cycled!

Congrats on your new tank! My cousin gave me a 55g with a filter and a heater, and my uncle gave me a 40g build. Keep me posted on the progress!!!:thanks:

So, looks like this process is going to take longer than I had thought. Oh well, I'd rather take my time and get it right rather than rush it and not be happy. Especially since I have now promised my wife this will be our last tank.
Anyway, I got the residue cleaned on the glass, and have now received 5 bags of flourite black sand.
Right now I have about 10 gallons of water sitting in there, because although I trust the guy I got this from I just wanted to be sure those seals are good. Once it seems ok with 10 I'll probably fill it all the way up one time and empty it again, to make sure it holds well with a full 55g of water.
THEN after that I can start getting the sand and plants placed..........phew.

Free? very nice! ... i'm still a nooby when it comes to aquarums, black sand?

this stuff. I really like the look of it.
A lot of people also use Tahitian Moon Sand, which I think is the the same kind of color, but without any plant nutritional value.

Back
Top Bottom