Back at it with a whole new outlook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jo060

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've always had an aquarium in my houses since I was a child and it wasn't until about a month ago that found out about the cycling.

I've always kept the fish in the bag for 10 min, then dropped them in and never thought twice about it all while mixing random fish together in the tank. I've never dealt with sickness in the tanks or mass casualties...Been very lucky.

I just recently purchased a new 29g tank starter kit (after not having one for the last 6-years)
and feel that I've become paranoid now that I know about cycling and am hoping I'm doing it correctly.

I filled that tank on Feb 26 (Today makes day 4 of being set up)
I opted to do the fish in cycle option. As of now, I have 3 Zebra Danios who seem to be thriving and happy. Along with the Danios I have 3 live plants.

I've been doing approximately 25% water change every day. I fill my bucket with tap water and add in Aqueon water conditioner per the instructions. I allow it to sit for some time, then fill the tank back up. (I've just read about Prime and it sounds like that may be the best option)

My most recent readings are as follows:
-pH approx 7.2
-Ammonia between .50 and .25
-Nitrite sometimes is 5.0 and other times is 2.0 (though 2 days ago it was .50)
-Nitrate is approx 20ppm

Does this seem like everything is cycling accordingly considering this is the 4th day of the tank being set up?

I realize this question is asked 50 times a day here, but each tank is so different, and the local pet store employees around here don't know the difference between a Corvette and a goldfish.

I have an established Betta tank that I took some gravel out of to put in my new tank, along with one decoration in hopes of speeding up and helping the process.

I know once you get a new tank you want fish in there as soon as possible, and with that being said, no the tank is not cycled yet. When your cycling a tank it isn't a matter of getting your water right its is getting good bacteria to stay in the filter/on the filter pad/cartridge. And cycling usually takes around a month or more even for everything to be established, just make sure you do your PWCs and keep checking level and you'll be ready to go when the months up check levels and see if everything looks good and get to stocking. Good luck!

I know once you get a new tank you want fish in there as soon as possible, and with that being said, no the tank is not cycled yet. When your cycling a tank it isn't a matter of getting your water right its is getting good bacteria to stay in the filter/on the filter pad/cartridge. And cycling usually takes around a month or more even for everything to be established, just make sure you do your PWCs and keep checking level and you'll be ready to go when the months up check levels and see if everything looks good and get to stocking. Good luck!

Thank you for the reply! While I understand the cycling process takes quite some time, I'm in no hurry at all to establish this tank.
I wasn't so much asking if it was done being cycled, but was curious if the readings look like they are on track for day 4.

I think that you're probably on track. Your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels will increase daily until you get a good colony of nitrifying bacteria built up. Keep up with daily water changes, and keep monitoring your levels, and you should be ok.

It's amazing how much fish-keeping has changed since I started over 30 years ago.

I've always had an aquarium in my houses since I was a child and it wasn't until about a month ago that found out about the cycling.

I've always kept the fish in the bag for 10 min, then dropped them in and never thought twice about it all while mixing random fish together in the tank. I've never dealt with sickness in the tanks or mass casualties...Been very lucky.

I just recently purchased a new 29g tank starter kit (after not having one for the last 6-years)

and feel that I've become paranoid now that I know about cycling and am hoping I'm doing it correctly.

I filled that tank on Feb 26 (Today makes day 4 of being set up)

I opted to do the fish in cycle option. As of now, I have 3 Zebra Danios who seem to be thriving and happy. Along with the Danios I have 3 live plants.

I've been doing approximately 25% water change every day. I fill my bucket with tap water and add in Aqueon water conditioner per the instructions. I allow it to sit for some time, then fill the tank back up. (I've just read about Prime and it sounds like that may be the best option)

My most recent readings are as follows:

-pH approx 7.2

-Ammonia between .50 and .25

-Nitrite sometimes is 5.0 and other times is 2.0 (though 2 days ago it was .50)

-Nitrate is approx 20ppm

Does this seem like everything is cycling accordingly considering this is the 4th day of the tank being set up?

I realize this question is asked 50 times a day here, but each tank is so different, and the local pet store employees around here don't know the difference between a Corvette and a goldfish.

I have an established Betta tank that I took some gravel out of to put in my new tank, along with one decoration in hopes of speeding up and helping the process.

If your willing to do water changes daily you will be fine. I didn't fully understand cycling either until I got through it the very first time. Those readings will definitely go up and down sometimes dramatically and water change (with conditioner) is the magic medicine. The higher the reading the more water and times you need to change it. It allows the fish to "weather the storm" so to speak while the little invisible bacteria you need grow to eat the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Most people I see on the forum that have major deaths and sickness are generally unwilling to change out water daily or as needed when readings skyrocket. Or they won't even test water to begin with.

Side note I would use "Prime" conditioner once you run out of the other. Everyone here has there preference but it was suggested to me during a Nitrite crisis while cycling and it works great, it detoxes ammonia Nitrite and nitrates. Once I switched and used with daily water changes it really seemed to help the fish with stress related to the on going cycle.

Back
Top Bottom