Back in the hobby need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddodad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It has been years since I started a tank from scratch and I need some advice. I moved a couple years ago and well my tank did not survive the move even with all my efforts. It has been sitting empty since then.

Its a 70 gallon or so bow front. I will need to buy an new filter and sand/gravel. Everything else seems to be in good working order.

So firstly I always had sand and since I was thinking of going planted again so I figure I’ll stick with that. I’m looking for something not too expensive and a darker color. Any suggestions?

Next I always used a canister filter but they seems quite a bit more costly then a hang on power filter. Is there really any difference?

I am reading up on cycling I think I have that down.

Thanks

I am currently working on switching from gravel to black sand. I found a lot of folks use black diamond blasting sand sold at tractor supply co. It's like $6-8 for a 50# bag. You'd probably need about two of them for your tank. One bag was plenty for my 29g. There are probably 100 other options though.... lol

If you want perfectly black sand that isn't the route you'd want to go though, there are lighter colors mixed in. Personally I think it looks more natural with some variation in the color though. JMO

Is the black Diamond sand completely safe for sift feeding fish and sensitive inverts? I'd give it a magnet test, because I think you'll find a significant metal composition in it.
Look into the ada aqua soils. Its more expensive, but proven for great plant growth and safe all around.

Alright, for filtration, there are differences between canisters and HOB filters. Canisters hold much more media, have different outflow, and can are morr of a hassle to clean but cleaning isn't as frequent. The turnover rate for a canister should be 3-5x the size of the tank, so for (estimating the tank is 72 gallons because I believe that's what the bf size is) you would want a canister that does at least 216gph to do a 3x turnover but you really want more, so somewhere around 300gph is better. A hob filter you want a 8-10x turnover so on a 72, you would want quite a strong turnover, maybe around 600gph. They hold less media which is why you need a higher turnover rate, however with a HOB filter and sand you'll have to be careful and making sure the sand doesn't get into the filter motor. I would probably use a canister on a bigger tank like that, I would look at eheim or Fluval but if you want a power HOB filter look at Fluval C series or AquaClear

I have seen lots of people use the black blasting sand with no issues. Honestly I had almost forgotten about it I might use it in mine when I rescape it this summer. I like a canister for the big tanks. That said I run 2 HOBs and a canister

Thanks, I was leaning towards the canister since it's also what I'm most familiar with and I would need to cut part of the canopy to fit a hob.

As for the sand I like the natural look, I heard natural (non dyed) play sand works well. Any opinions?

from standpoint of filtration, both HOBs and canisters will do their jobs just fine. setup correctly both will provide crystal clear water. media in both can be adjusted for your conditions (i'm cleaning tanins out of water right now so i threw carbon into one of the AC100 hobs on the 125gal.)

the biggest benefit of the canister to me is the fact it can keep the rest of the equipment outside of tank and view. inline heater is an awesome thing. I equipped my canister with water skimming attachment and really like the outcome. it's a ted quieter too since there is no sound of water breaking the surface. i could go for month between cleaning the canister.
the only question really is do you mind the heater in tank and what budget you ready to spend.

I am in Canada so prices are much higher then in the US. I looked the the fluval 406. (Good for 100g I always like to have my tanks over filtered).
I’ve always had my heater in the tank not an issue.
My issue now is finding an affordable substrate. I figure I need about 75-100lbs of sand for a 70g bowfront

Go check out home Depot and Lowes or your equivalent. They have cheap options, I get 50lbs of sand for $4 at home Depot

I am planning to go check it out. Just to confirm it needs to be inert and nontoxic. Is there anything else I need to make sure? If my kids have anything to say about stocking there will be snails and shrimp.

Yeah inert and nontoxic and make sure it isn't coated in anything, those sometimes contain poisons

Thanks for the advice. It’s crazy I’ve been out of the hobby for a couple years and haven’t cycled or started a new tank in probably 20 years I feel like a newbie.

Play sand can be a bear to rinse. Pool Filter sand can be a cheap option. I paid $12 for 50 lbs. IMG_2930.jpg

I am currently working on switching from gravel to black sand. I found a lot of folks use black diamond blasting sand sold at tractor supply co. It's like $6-8 for a 50# bag. You'd probably need about two of them for your tank. One bag was plenty for my 29g. There are probably 100 other options though.... lol

I don't know if you decided on substrate yet, but I finally got my tank set up last night, so I thought I'd show you what the sand looks like.

1SvRh8Z.jpg

Very nice! That look I like my issue is the black diamond is not available in Canada. I haven't seen anything comparable. I figure I will most likely go with pool filter sand unless magically I find something black this weekend. (As long as I can find some in the depth of winter.

I will hopefully buy the filter this weekend and start it up when I can get the time

OIC wasn't sure where you were from. I'm guessing there is probably a different brand there, but pool filter sand will look nice too. I'm digging sand right now. I've had gravel for years, and couldn't be more excited to make the switch to sand.

I might hold off actually setting it up. I might be taking a trip early March and will pickup some black diamond sand then. What grade did you use? I see medium and fine. I was hoping for some Cory’s and wouldn’t want them to get injured on it

I love sand I switched from gravel 10+ years ago and swore I’d never go back to gravel

I couldn't wait until next month. I went to my lfs where they were having a crazy sale on the Fluval FX4, it's rated up to a 250g tank so IMO prefect for 70g(I like to over filter)

I found the pure ammonia and some good looking pool filter sand I assumed it would be light colour but seems to actually be pretty black. It was a nice surprise when I got home and took a look.

I'm picking up some seed material tomorrow (fingers crossed), I have driftwood soaking plus a couple amazon swords.

The cycling and aquascaping starts tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom