Backwards somersaulting bumblebee goby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siva

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my bb gobies appears sick. He tries to swim around normally but is flipping around weird, often doing backwards somersaults. Also I'm pretty sure his color is duller than the others. The behavior reminds me of what I've often seen in neon/glowlight tetras before they die. Anything I can do?

Could be a sign of shock to him or a change in the water try water treatment whenever adding new fish or anything new to your tank and it will keep your tank fresh without having problems you have

One of my bb gobies appears sick. He tries to swim around normally but is flipping around weird, often doing backwards somersaults. Also I'm pretty sure his color is duller than the others. The behavior reminds me of what I've often seen in neon/glowlight tetras before they die. Anything I can do?

Can BB gobies get swim bladder disease? I just got a 6 pack for my BW tank and will have to keep an eye out for this. If you figure it out, please post any info.

Good luck!

Could be a sign of shock to him or a change in the water try water treatment whenever adding new fish or anything new to your tank and it will keep your tank fresh without having problems you have
Water treatment? Not sure what you are referring to.

Can BB gobies get swim bladder disease? I just got a 6 pack for my BW tank and will have to keep an eye out for this. If you figure it out, please post any info.

Good luck!

Well that's precisely what I would have thought but bb gobies have no swim bladder.

Yeah I feed peas to my bettas and gourami, I'm starting to wonder if it should just be a common practice with all my fish.

I just got them thursday. I didn't do anything special to acclimate..floated them for about an hour (there was alot of water in the bag) and then started removing bag water and adding tank water every 10-15 mins..did that a few times before adding them. I tested the bag water to make sure the SG in my tank matched as well.

I don't see any of them acting strange now. Not sure what to make of it. Can't find much of any info about common illness for them.

Yeah I feed peas to my bettas and gourami, I'm starting to wonder if it should just be a common practice with all my fish.

I just got them thursday. I didn't do anything special to acclimate..floated them for about an hour (there was alot of water in the bag) and then started removing bag water and adding tank water every 10-15 mins..did that a few times before adding them. I tested the bag water to make sure the SG in my tank matched as well.

I don't see any of them acting strange now. Not sure what to make of it. Can't find much of any info about common illness for them.

Déjà vu, I just put mine in on thursday too lol. Could just be different chemistry of the tanks (LFS->yours) and they'll continue to do better from here on out.

I did my usual drip acclimation and slowed it down a bit from my regular rate to 1 gallon over 1.5hrs since my tank just finished cycling.

BTW, what do you feed yours?

That's funny and we both got 6. They actually came off the fedex truck and my lfs called and floated them until I got there to pick them up. They never keep them in stock because they only have one BW tank and they said their GSP's kill them. So they had just went through shipping, but everyone has seemed fine so far. Now I'm wondering if they are struggling with the filter flow and maybe that's why it was flipping around. They are rather tiny, so it could be.

I was going to ask you the same thing. They love the frozen stuff, I've tried mysis shrimp and bloodworms but haven't done brine shrimp yet. Just tried flake for the first time today and they didn't seem to care for that. I saw them taking bites and spitting it back out.

That's funny and we both got 6. They actually came off the fedex truck and my lfs called and floated them until I got there to pick them up. They never keep them in stock because they only have one BW tank and they said their GSP's kill them. So they had just went through shipping, but everyone has seemed fine so far. Now I'm wondering if they are struggling with the filter flow and maybe that's why it was flipping around. They are rather tiny, so it could be.

I was going to ask you the same thing. They love the frozen stuff, I've tried mysis shrimp and bloodworms but haven't done brine shrimp yet. Just tried flake for the first time today and they didn't seem to care for that. I saw them taking bites and spitting it back out.

I feed mine brine shrimp and they love em. I tried NLS Thera-A (1mm pellets) soaked in Entice but I'm not sure if they ate them or the blue legged hermit crabs did. Not sure what mysis is, but I think I'll get some bloodworms tomorrow. I have a growing colony of pond snails which seem to be ok with BW and the BB don't touch them, so at least my GSP wil have snacks lol.

You have GSP that shares a tank with the BB's?

Blue legged hermit crabs? In brackish? Really now...

So you mean SW hermit crabs? Like these: https://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/845/product.web ? That's incredibly cool! What SG are you keeping them at?

Well, they're blue legged hermits but they were looking a little lethargic so I took them back. My SG is 1.003 for now until I get the GSP in (my LFS keeps new ones at that SG), then I'll kick it up over a couple three months or so to 1.010. At that point I'm going to reintroduce the BL Hermits. But I need something for a cuc and soon.

Oh, I got some bloodworms and the BBG gobbled them up and mine are losing some color too. The BW expert at my LFS said it's mainly due to change of, or poor diet, so hopefully the bloodworms will improve their color. Maybe yours needs brine shrimp? lol

Oh darnit..I wanted to order one right away but I'm only at 1.005 so I better wait. Are there other SW inverts that can go brackish?

I've been feeding them frozen foods every day except for once I tried flake. Yesterday I did brine shrimp and today emerald entree. Yum! I say sarcastically..that stuff is so gross lol.

Oh darnit..I wanted to order one right away but I'm only at 1.005 so I better wait. Are there other SW inverts that can go brackish?

I've been feeding them frozen foods every day except for once I tried flake. Yesterday I did brine shrimp and today emerald entree. Yum! I say sarcastically..that stuff is so gross lol.

HAHA! That's what I'm asking you :p. We need to find something that will work. I guess fiddler crabs are good in low SG, but you have to have an area to get out of the water. I'm building a GSP tank, not a fiddler so they're out. I'll keep researching and if I come up with something, you'll be the first to know. Keep me in mind if you find something :D.

Pass the Soy sauce please lol. I tried Thera-A soaked in Entice and as far as I could tell, only the hermits and pond snails ate it.

This tank actually started out as a fiddler tank but I re-designed it to accommodate the gobies too. It's easy to give them air access really, but GSP's would devour them anyway..they love crab ;)

Just thought I'd let you know I put 3 ghost shrimp in with my BBG's a little while ago, we'll see how the do and if they seem to like the salty water I'm gonna get a bunch when we go pick up the GSP.

Is you Goby doing better?

Oh really. My ghosties never reproduce so I can tell I've got the type that need some salt to do so. I've just been trying to decdie if I actually want them to reproduce lol.

I've had a close eye for a while now, and the gobies are all fine. I can see now that they really avoid the filter current..I'm almost positive now that one was either doing tricks in it or getting thrown around by it. I'm getting them a new filter :)

They are so cool! I'm just totally smitten with them! They definitely add a little something special to this place full of FW tanks :D

Back
Top Bottom