bacteria bloom question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZombiesAteMyDog

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a heck of a time cycling my tank fish in, I used 6 zebra danios and 3 cory catfish, finally after 2 months my tank completed its cycle, I let it sit a week or so, and headed off to the LFS.

I added 4 fancy guppies to my tank and 1 african dwarf frog, the ammonia levels rose slightly to under .25 ppm which I assume is normal when adding new fish to a cycled tank while waiting for the bacteria colony to catch up to the new bioload

however the past day or 2 my water has gotten some what cloudy, is it normal to experience a mini bacterial bloom when adding new fish to a fully cycled tank? or is there something else that might be going on?

yeah, it can happen. It's basically because your tank has to come up with more BB to make up for the 4 guppies that you added and is going into overdrive to achieve this. it should clear up within a week or so, and shouldnt happen every time if you add only a couple of fish at a time.

Zombies, what size tank do you have? I have a 110g that I'm trying to cycle with fish. I started out with 6 minnows. After 2 weeks, I put in 12 buenos aires tetra's and 9 zebra danios. My tank has been cloudy almost from day 1 and my ammonia has only gotten up to .25. I'm beginning to wonder how long the cycle process might take. How did your levels change over the 2 months?

I only have a 29 gallon but tanks tend to cycle the same regardless of size.

Basically I had around 1 ppm ammonia for 2 months then within 2 to 3 days my nitrites spiked and my tank was cycled the next day,

Is it normal for the tank to be cloudy the entire cycle time? Did you do any water changes during the cycle process? So far, I've only added water for evaporation.

I have a new 29g tank. It's been up for about 3 weeks with 3 mollies and 2 rosey barbs. The water stays slightly cloudy and I test the water on a reg bases. The only thing that is high is the ammonia levels. Seems to sit at 0.5. I do a water change every 2-3 days but was told by one guy at the fish store to do nothing. A little confused as to what I should be doing and how long does this cycling process take? I'm very anxious to get more fish but know I can't right now. Please help with any tips anyone might have. I do add water conditioner and a bacteria supplement with each water change.

Just make sure you keep up with your water changes every couple of days and be patient, it will cycle eventually, as far as bacterial supliments the only bottled bacteria in would recommend is tetra safe start, anything else could end up out competing the bacteria your trying to grow.

It took me well over 2 months, almost 3 to cycle my tank and am finally able to add fish, and it's even better knowing I waited and did it right.

Just stick with it you will get there

I have a new 29g tank. It's been up for about 3 weeks with 3 mollies and 2 rosey barbs. The water stays slightly cloudy and I test the water on a reg bases. The only thing that is high is the ammonia levels. Seems to sit at 0.5. I do a water change every 2-3 days but was told by one guy at the fish store to do nothing. A little confused as to what I should be doing and how long does this cycling process take? I'm very anxious to get more fish but know I can't right now. Please help with any tips anyone might have. I do add water conditioner and a bacteria supplement with each water change.

Couple things, get some big pwc done right away. 75% even and then check ammonia, you are gonna kill your fish.

The do nothing is for the bacteria bloom. But you can't do nothing if you are gonna poison your fish to death!

Get your ammonia under control! Even if you have to do back to back water changes.

For all new tanks just rinse the filter pad in conditioned water, don't change it. That is where the beneficial bacteria are!

As for cloudiness, many times it is the food! Flakes are the worst for clouding up the water and elevating ammonia for that matter. Most of the time everyone over feeds too, clouding the water! I recommend Hikari pelleted foods for the size and type(s) appropriate for your fish. "Don't cloud the water" Big plus for new fish tank keepers.

Look for foods where the first ingredients aren't wheat or corn paste/flour/meal.

Someone told me this and it helped me cut WAY back on foods...
Think of the size of the fishes eye as the size of their stomach, feed for that size....

Most people over feed, and that is very bad for fish water quality/and fish/tank health.

After you get the water quality in check see if it is truly a bacterial bloom or just over feeding or poor quality food!

Happy fish keeping!

Back
Top Bottom