Bacteria Casualties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Memphis Whale

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 135 gallon saltwater tank.If my power were to go out how long would it take for all the bacteria in my filter and tank to die and kill all my fish ??
Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

The bacteria isn't really what you are worried about when the power goes out. The CO2 buildup and lack of oxygen going into the tank is what the bigger issue is with fish deaths when the power goes out. My tank went 3 days without power with minimal deaths, just stir the tank up with a wooden mixing spoon. People usually use a battery backup system or generator to prevent such, but you can also use battery powered minnow pumps to achieve a similar goal.

Those battery pumps are fairly cheap too. I bought two on eBay recently just in case. Figure I may never need them, but at about $15 a pop, it's less expensive than losing fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The bacteria will likely be the last thing to die. First it would be fish, then corals, then inverts, and then finally your bacteria at the very end.

The LPS and softies all swelled up. It looked pretty crazy. Then when oxygen returned, they deflated back to normal.

Thanx a million for the wise counsel! Ill hit E-Bay this afternoon. I would hate to lose my Volitan Lionfish,Yellow Tang,Dragon Wrasse,and my Snowflake Eel :)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom