Bad aquarium keeper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also I would check the parameters on your tap. You pH is really low. At 6.5 the bb begin to slow down the processing of waste, and at 6 they completely stop and begin dying. The only bonus to this is that the ammo is less toxic at that pH.

Thats great to know! How do you all learn all of this is there a book??? Or a chart?

I have city water and it often aggravates me! Since I've had city water, for the past 2 years, I've noticed the tap parameters change every few months. Sometimes high ph sometimes low ph. Grrrrr

I bought one about a year ago. With 4 tanks toting buckets got old!!!! I would be lost without it.

I hear that. I don't use the python because it waste to much water. I use a trash can and a large pump for mine and it makes life much easier for sure.

I hear that. I don't use the python because it waste to much water. I use a trash can and a large pump for mine and it makes life much easier for sure.

What size tank? I used a trash can and pump when I had two. I had my sons empty and fill them and bring them back to me they hated it!

You shouldn't be changing the filter pads. That might be another reason for your parameters being high. If you put fresh filter pads in your filter all the time your cycle will always be fluctuating. Also, .5 isn't even close to the highest ammonia level. You really should retake those test and post the exact numbers, that would help us help you with what might be wrong. This is a API liquid master test kit right?

What size tank? I used a trash can and pump when I had two. I had my sons empty and fill them and bring them back to me they hated it!

I have a 150 gallon,180gallon,100 gallon ,33 gallon trash can is a must have I add 135 gallons weekly so imagine what I would waste using the python.

I have a 150 gallon,180gallon,100 gallon ,33 gallon trash can is a must have I add 135 gallons weekly so imagine what I would waste using the python.

Wow that is a lot of water! You must have a really good pump.

Golden Pothos

Hello,

I have found that if you plant Golden Pothos in your aquarium the high growth rate of the plant absorbs most if not all of the ammonia and nitrates in your tank, depending of course on how stocked your tank is. Its a common house plant, you can propagate it by cutting part of it and immersing the stem in water, keep the leaves above the water line or else it will die. After a few weeks it will send down new roots and start growing rapidly if there's a ton of nitrates in the tank.

Good luck!

Hello,

I have found that if you plant Golden Pothos in your aquarium the high growth rate of the plant absorbs most if not all of the ammonia and nitrates in your tank, depending of course on how stocked your tank is. Its a common house plant, you can propagate it by cutting part of it and immersing the stem in water, keep the leaves above the water line or else it will die. After a few weeks it will send down new roots and start growing rapidly if there's a ton of nitrates in the tank.

Good luck!

Looking into that as we speak! Thanks!

I have a tun of that hanging out of my HOB, off the sides and in the water, I also have heavily planted tanks. Plants only help to a certain extent. I still have fight to keep my nitrate levels low even in my tank that is only at 50% stock.

Hello,

Good luck!

So I googled them (to see what it was) and I have them all over the place. We call them Ivys. I have about 4 and they grow all over the place. Beautiful plant!

I am afraid to plant my tank. I really want to, but I am having enough trouble with fish! And I don't know what fish lives well with what plants and what other problems plants may cause. Just too much!!

I have a tun of that hanging out of my HOB, off the sides and in the water, I also have heavily planted tanks. Plants only help to a certain extent. I still have fight to keep my nitrate levels low even in my tank that is only at 50% stock.

Have you tried increasing your lighting on the Pothos? To an extent, more lighting = more photosynthesis which = more nitrate uptake.

Also try adding some Anacharis. Its an extremely fast growing aquatic plant. If the conditions are right, you'll have to manually remove some everyweek to keep it from over taking the tank.

I am afraid to plant my tank. I really want to, but I am having enough trouble with fish! And I don't know what fish lives well with what plants and what other problems plants may cause. Just too much!!

What kind of fish do you have and in what size tanks?

Have you tried increasing your lighting on the Pothos? To an extent, more lighting = more photosynthesis which = more nitrate uptake.

Also try adding some Anacharis. Its an extremely fast growing aquatic plant. If the conditions are right, you'll have to manually remove some everyweek to keep it from over taking the tank.
My tank is under high-very highlight DIY co2 and high dose glut which would melt anacharis in nothing flat. When I say heavily planted this is one of my tanks.

What kind of fish do you have and in what size tanks?

I am about to move them around when my levels are right.... This is what they will be

55gal/. 2 jacks (nice size ones about 6"

40 gal new fish!!! Undecided

30 gal 4 silver dollar, 4 mollies

30 gal 10 Molly fry

My tank is under high-very highlight DIY co2 and high dose glut which would melt anacharis in nothing flat. When I say heavily planted this is one of my tanks.

You have beautifully planted tank! Do on have to have special lighting? You have inspired me to plant something!!!

flitabout,

Great looking tank. You definitely have way more plants than I do lol. You can see my tanks here. Photos aren't up to date. Flickr: ndptal85's Photostream I have since removed the non-aquatic fern that the Petshop gave me for free and I have moved the swords to the 5 gallon tank. My anacharis died after medicating the tank so I am off to the store to buy some more. I am relatively new to planted aquariums but I have been reading up a ton. My big tank is a 20 gallon.

In my 5 gallon tank I have 2 African Dwarf Frogs and I am going to get a Betta tonight for that tank as well.

Candi,

For the 30 gallon tanks Anacharis will be fine along with Amazon Swords although the Swords aren't fast growers. For the 55 gallon Amazon Swords might work with those Jacks but I'm not 100% sure if they'll leave them alone or not.

Back
Top Bottom