Bad ph...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andreamorrissey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It's 7.6 what the heck.......I added ph down drops but it didn't change. Should I keep doing water changes or ..

7.6 isn't a bad ph. I wish I had 7.6 mine is holding steady at 8.0-8.2 Adding chemicals will just make your ph unstable and that is worse for your fish than a higher ph. Have you tested your tap with the 24 hour aeration test? Doing more water changes may actually be causing it. I have a bad tap ph it's 8.8 might be higher but that's as high as the test goes. I use RO water keep my ph down and stable. Also never change your ph more than .3 in a 24 hour period as it will stress your fish and may end up killing them.

I added 2 drops of ph down already...:ccc well I figured it was bad considering that 7.6 was the highest on the chart. I have 2 wcmm at the moment

The chemicals you buy for raising or lower ph usually only last for about 24 hours before ph rebounds back to where it was. As already said a stable ph is most important and unless you want to commit to using RO water and closely monitoring your ph you are best off leaving things the way they are. Most fish can easily acclimate to a person's ph.

For what you are keeping, I totally agree with everyone else who said that it isn't worth messing with. 7.6 is good for many tropicals, even if it is slightly outside what is considered "perfect".

Back
Top Bottom