Bad Tankmates choice??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatfishGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've noticed a bit more aggression in my tank than I planned on having. I knew having cichlids they would nip at each other and chase around one another but my red devil has gotten out of control..
I have a full grown female red devil who is now the boss of the tank the problem is the aggression is at an extreme level
hes in a tank with a jack Dempsey (9")
an Alligator Gar (18-20")
a red tail catfish (24-28")
an Oscar (14-15")
and 3 plecos (14", 16" and 18")
the red devil has taken a few decent bites out of each of my babies!!! :( Id hate to get rid of him but its like he wont even let them come out of their hiding places.

How large is this tank? Parms?
*edit* never mind on the tank size, 450 g right. Anyway, Red Devils can be tpretry mean.Have you tried to separate it out and rearranging any decor? I knew a guy who breed some f-1 red

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Give it some time, the red devil won't be the issue, it'll be the rtc when it eats everyone else lol.

Really though, that's a pretty gnarly tank. I vote +1 on Rearranging decor as cg said, breaking up line of sight if you could. It'll only work momentarily though

Sent from my QMV7A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its a 450 gallon, I feed my rtc well I've had him since he was 2 inches. he's my baby, and he wont go after any of my fish, even the little 2" convicts I put in the bottom as feeder, they even started breeding and now I have close to 2 dozen little guys in there (even though he kills 3 dozen feeders in 15 minutes) I mostly feed him ham, chicken, hot dogs and frozen rats to keep his hormones and aggression moderate) its been a few months since ive had my devil but she's really only gotten worse, I have thick fake plants (plecos eat any live ones even a thick stalk of bamboo was gone in a week!) and some rocks staggered around the tank, some reaching 2/3 the height of the tank (3 feet) but the plants usually end up getting kicked around and broken by the rtc and gar. BTW if anyones interested im trying to sell the gar so I can take the lids off my tank again :X hes a jumper!

Out of mere curiosity can we get a pic of the tank? That's must be some fun water changes to keep up with.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

a video of my tank and fish, sorry its so dark I have to keep thick lids on top to keep the gar from jumping out

Attachments

• IMG_3520.jpg
    IMG_3520.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3548.jpg
    IMG_3548.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom