Bait fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xander

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I bought some bait fish to use for some early spring fishing and wanted to see if I could keep them alive in a closed system. I put them in a 40 gallon breeder tank with two established filters. I have 30 or so freshwater shrimp (not the sort we see in tropical tanks) in a breeding container and half a scoop of crappie minnows. One filter is an old Fluval 203 that I had on an overstocked 75 and the other is a large sponge from a cold water 55.
The bioload was too much but have yet to lose any fish. I set the canister outlet to break the water surface and have a powerhead doing the same. Tank is uncovered and filled with COLD water from the tap and treated with Prime. I've done 3 20% water changes since Saturday afternoon. I plan to do another when I get home tonight.
I figure that since the filters are already established I just need to keep up on the PWC to prevent death of the fish and the bacteria.
Just waiting on the bacteria to get up in enough numbers to hold their own. Will still keep up on PWC to keep the water cold enough for them.
Wish me luck. The last couple times I tried this I had crashes but wasn't as aware of nitrogen cycles as I am now. I mean I was aware if it just not very versed in it.

Back
Top Bottom