Balas and others acting VERY STRANGE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PtDisc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30 gallon tank with 3 balas, 5 clown loaches (my fave!), 3 pictus cats and 2 pl*cos. I know this is somewhat overloaded, but I plan on a new tank (55-70?) within the next couple of months or so. However, they all get along well and seem perfectly happy...

Until a few days ago.

I had been goofing around with my heater, which could never keep a constant temperature. I had left my windows open and in the morning the thermometer couldn't read the temp it was so cold - probably around 65. I turned the heater back up to 78, which I know isn't the best thing to do, but have read conflicting opinions on that. Regardless of this being the case, my Balas (most noticably) have been acting very strange since.

Usually the Balas are heavy eaters and will eat all of the sinking food that I drop before it hits the bottom. The clown loaches used to greet me in the morning like they were happy to see me (or just starving). But that has changed. The sharks have been twitching erratically and hanging out together in the corner, one of which swims against the glass like its trying to swim right through it. The loaches hang out in their log (a driftwood piece with a nice cylinder through it) and don't come out. The only thing that has been eating are the pictus, and heavily at that. This is all very strange.

The balas concern me the most. They are extremely jumpy. I will walk past the tank or open the door and will hit the hood trying to jump out. They used to be so docile. Now, as mentioned before, they simply sit in the bottom corner of the tank twitching and darting around - which is very painful to watch. I have read about many possible diseases, but none seem to describe my problem...

Please help! I will post more information later, but I have to jet. Thanks!

I will post a short quicktime movie of the behavior when I get the chance.

[center:8de2b3d5f2] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, PtDisc! :n00b: [/center:8de2b3d5f2]
I can't help on the problem; however, I will say you should go out and buy a new heater ASAP! My fiancé is chiming in--the swinging temp will stress the fish. Also, if the temp is too high, the fish may become agitated. Aside from a new heater, you should purchase another thermometer (not stick on) and double check the water temp.
People that have balas may pop in later with suggestions.
In the mean time, please post your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites...).

I agree - get a new heater today. and a new thermometer today!

Perhaps your heater is leaking electrical current into the tank. This would understandably make the fish very uncomfortable. I read something to this effect on another board once.

Also check your water params. A sudden spike in ammonia or nitrite could be the culprit too.

Back
Top Bottom