Banghai Cardinal not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chickenscratch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My cardinal fish hasn't noticeably eaten in over 2 weeks. His color and activity hasn't been out of the ordinary. The folks at my local store said he is probably on his way out although he is not showing clear signs.

I had a small episode of ick and treated by soaking the flake food and mysis in garlic oil and Selcon. The ick was "gone" the next day and the fish ate good the entire process. The ick reappeared 2 more times but I haven't seen in a few days. Fish seem to be doing great but stressed for some reason.

I recently added an aquarium grounding probe to the tank as I have lost 1 piece of coral, a royal gramma (no remains) and my new starry eyed Benny. I have treated my tank according to the local fish experts here in town by soaking the food AND the grounding probe as we tend to have power surges and what not from time to time.

I had my water tested multiple times (5-6 times) at two different stores and each separate times over a 2 month period and the experts even said my water was impeccable. They tested using the strips and the "test tube" type kits that are a little more extensive. And everything showed with range if no perfect.

I'm not sure why (1) my cardinal isn't eating, (2) my 2 fish died and (3) my clowns bounce back and forth thru ick by losing their slime coat.

I have been asking questions, trying various things and now I'm just stuck. My tank is a 29 gallon reef tank. Includes a hang over the tank filter, heater, 2 power heads, live rock and sand and coral and the grounding probe.

I have been very patient following all the "rules" and now running into obstacles.

Thoughts?

Well as far as the cardinal goes me an a few others on the site couldn't get there's to eat and I tried everything possible and it died after about two weeks.

What's types of fish would you suggest after he's gone? I've had a lyretail anthias, royal gramma, blenny and the cardinal and all didn't make it yet the water quality is near perfect as far as I'm being told.

Posting your parameters will go a long way in getting help. Also, with the attitude of 'What do I replace it with once it dies', you'll not get very far IMO.

I've posted this before, but I have always fed my fish after lights out through a syringe with a piece of air line attached to it. Once they got used to it having food in it, they attack it when it comes in the tank. I feed a variety of frozen foods for 'carnivores', and my cardinal eats them all.

Back
Top Bottom