barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope. =] I'd get 6 of each if you're planning to buy those schooling fish. They may hang out together in a friendly way if they're not stressed by predators, but they wont' school in a species-like way.

Haha, unless you put predators in your tank, don't expect them to stay separate--that's not what I meant.

What I meant was, they'll be more calm and happier being in groups of 6 plus, as they're schooling fish. But if you have a good community tank going on, don't be surprised if you DO end up seeing a rainbow as everyone goes their own way and doing their own thing.

How big is the tank and what other stock do you have/are looking at?

Right now all I have is a pleco and a red tall shark (lfs tricked into the red tall). its a 70 g tank and I want 3 peppered corys, trade the pleco for a BN pleco, and then the barb and angel idea. Or would the shark work as the predator?

Haha, I wasn't actually recommending a predator. XD But with barbs you should be fine. Actually, with that size tank, if you wanted an angel, it'd probably work. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the barbs (not the cherry barbs, but maybe the goldens) nipping its fins. To be honest though, in a tank that size, the barbs aren't really seem like a school, they'll be happy and have plenty of room, but they might just get lost in the size of it.

Have you considered getting 10 or 15 of each? That might help.

You can fit 15 of each. =] As long as you're not planning on adding much else...? And you can do an angel as well.

Hold on though, I just plugged that stocking into aqadvisor and it says that a red-tail shark is too aggressive to exist with cherry barbs... you might want to start a new thread and see if anyone has any experience with that.

Edit: and it says your stocking level would be 108, so maybe you should do 10 of each instead, and 4 cories (they like groups of larger than 3).

Back
Top Bottom